The E1060, Motorola?s first iTunes phone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Quote:

Motorola unveils RAZR successors, iTunes phone

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:11 AM ET

By Lucas van Grinsven, European Technology Correspondent

CANNES, France, Feb 14 (Reuters) - U.S.-based Motorola (MOT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) unveiled a range of new handsets on Monday that will be built around its popular RAZR model, and showed a long-awaited music phone with Apple's iTunes music player software.

The popular RAZR ultra-thin flip phone which was launched last year will be joined by three more high-tech models, dubbed the RAZR black, the SLVR and the PEBL. The black RAZR, nicknamed BLZR, will be available for the Oscars this spring. The SLVR, a model without a flip, will be thin like the RAZR with Motorola hoping to bring excitement back to monoblock phones, which have lost ground to clamshell designs.

Bigger rival Nokia (NOK1V.HE: Quote, Profile, Research) has this year started moving a large part of its portfolio to clamshells after it lost market share in 2004 due to its focus on monoblock models.

The SLVR will come out in the third quarter, which is when Motorola will also introduce a round mobile phone dubbed the PEBL. Under Jim Wicks, who was elevated to chief designer last year, Motorola will develop two families of phones, one square and one round.

"We finally discovered the right direction," Amer Husaini, vice president for Motorola's mobile devices group in Europe, Middle East, Africa and South Asia, said at 3GSM in Cannes, the world's biggest mobile trade show.

Under new Chief Executive Ed Zander, Motorola has turned around its handset operations last year. It gained global market share to 15.3 percent from 14.5 percent, and more than tripled operating profits after introducing popular new models of which it could make sufficient quantities -- breaking with a tradition of problems with logistics and manufacturing.

FOUR-LETTER MODELS

While the new four-letter models will be for the standard second generation networks, Motorola also unveiled three new handsets and one datacard for faster third generation mobile networks aimed at multimedia consumers and computer users.

Many operators opened third generation (3G) networks to consumers last year, with 61 UMTS networks open by late 2004, connecting 16 million subscribers. Vodafone (VOD.L: Quote, Profile, Research) started selling 3G services to consumers in November in 13 countries.

Motorola will introduce the E1120 monoblock model with a built-in camera of 3 megapixels for high detail pictures, and the E1060 model which is aimed at music afficianados and which will feature iTunes Music Player of which Motorola said last year will become the default music player on Motorola handsets.

"We're committed to have iTunes as the default music client, but we'll also continue to support other music players such as RealPlayer (from RealNetworks (RNWK.O: Quote, Profile, Research) ), Husaini said.

Apple's (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) iTunes Music Player has become popular on the back of the company's iPod music jukebox, which is the world's leading portable music player. Motorola phone users will be able to carry a limited number of songs in the iTunes format.

The A1010, available in the first half, will succeed the current A1000 3G phone, by adding more features. All phones will run on Motorola's own operating system, except the A1010 which will run on Symbian. More Linux phones are in the pipeline for this year, but it is not clear if they will be sold outside Asia, Husaini said.

The computer datacard will be able to handle the higher speeds that come with HSDPA networks, the improved version of UMTS that will be used by some operators towards the end of 2005. That is also when Motorola's card will be ready.

At the trade show, Motorola's network division is showing how HSDPA can boost the speed of a 3G network so that 10 songs can be downloaded onto a phone in less than a minute.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

reuters

engadet

link to the phone's page at moto

edit: mods, perhaps this belongs in digital hub? (my bad)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Digital Hub...

I want one
  • Reply 2 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Am I the only person who thinks that phone looks like a WinAmp skin?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    No.

Matches the iTunes icon color, tho.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    And my personal favorite...

Quote:

Size: 57 cc

Weight: 3.4 ounces, 85 grams

Battery: 820 mAh Li-ion

Talk Time: up to 250 ? 380 minutes

Standby Time: up to 310 ? 420 hours

Display: 176 x 220,1.9? TFT with up to 262K colors

Features:

?EDGE for rapid data exchange, wireless modem, fast downloads and more*

?Sleek, ultra thin design without sacrificing advanced functionality

?Integrated VGA camera with 4 x zoom

?Music and video capture and playback supporting MPEG 4 and MP3 files

?Bluetooth Class 2 wireless technology to support cable-free connections with compatible devices including PDAs, PCs, printers, car kits and more

?PTT with presence indicators and integrated hands-free speakerphone

?MP3 player to store, repeat, shuffle and play favorite tunes; 22Khz polyphonic speaker

?Up to 5 MB embedded memory; up to 256 MB expandable TransFlash memory

?Motorola's Dynamic Idle solution, for zero-click access to your favorite news, sports, entertainment, and weather

?WAP 2.0

?Messaging via MMS, IM Wireless Village and email (POP3, SMTP)

?J2ME? MIDP 2.0

?Downloadable games, wallpapers, MP3s and more*

Connectivity: Mini USB connector, Bluetooth

Although I am a Nokia fanboy and quite anti-motorola, this phone sure seems to be cool. I am a fan of small phones, having previously owned a Sanyo 6400 back when I was on sprint, and a Nokia 6590i (similar to 8390). I am on my 7th phone this year and am currently on a Nokia 6620... it's a beast to say the least
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    I'm liking this new Moto though I hope the implementation of Bluetooth connectivity is better than in previous models.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    WTF?

MobileTracker: "Motorola E1060 does not have iTunes"

and engadget: "Motorola?s E1060 is not the first iTunes phone"

Quote: A Motorola spokesperson noted "E1060 was used to demonstate iTunes client; however, it is not our iTunes product." [...] In an Apple-like fashion, Motorola is keeping the first iTunes enabled phone under very close wraps. While Motorola wanted to show off the software, it appears the company wanted to keep the device secret.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

WTF?

MobileTracker: "Motorola E1060 does not have iTunes"

and engadget: "Motorola?s E1060 is not the first iTunes phone"

Quote: A Motorola spokesperson noted "E1060 was used to demonstate iTunes client; however, it is not our iTunes product." [...] In an Apple-like fashion, Motorola is keeping the first iTunes enabled phone under very close wraps. While Motorola wanted to show off the software, it appears the company wanted to keep the device secret.

good news.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Yeah, put iTunes on a better phone.

Wait.

Just put it on all the phones they're releasing or Nokia/Microsoft (funny) might get their act together.

Wasn't the iTunes phone supposed to come out in the beginning of 2005? These phones qualify so why don't they all have iTunes?

It would make more sense then waiting for some mythical iTunes phone.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Apparently, the first fully iTunes enabled moto phone will be the "ROKR".

From Yahoo: "Another new model, the yet-to-be-unveiled ROKR, will be Motorola's first phone that is fully compatible with Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes software, which will be Motorola's default music player on handsets."