First black owner in NFL

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Arizona businessman Reggie Fowler and Vikings owner Red McCombs announced Monday an agreement that if approved by the NFL will make Fowler the next owner of the Minnesota Vikings. Neither man would reveal a purchase price, but the Pioneer Press reported Sunday it could be as high as $635 million.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...l/10898868.htm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Who cares what his ethnicity is. The big question is what is he going to do about the Vikings C, the Vikings D and the Vikings O?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Dude only has a reported net worth in the range of $400M. It's going to be tight for the owners to approve the deal as much as they might like to for PR reasons. To be the general partner he will need about $150M cash on the barrelhead, minimum. And that's with a $125M NFL loan, more cash if he doesn't want that. How many business owners can cough up a third of their net worth in cash??? Good luck to him if he can.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'm sure they know of these issues and already have something worked out.

I, for one, definitely care about the ethnicity of the executives in the NFL.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Common Man

Neither man would reveal a purchase price, but the Pioneer Press reported Sunday it could be as high as $635 million.

And what will the ticket prices be after the sale??
  • Reply 5 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Doesn't the whole so-called signifance of the man's race seem anachronistic?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    As someone who grew up a huge Vikings fan, I care more about whether or not this new owner will 1. get approved by the NFL, 2. Reverse the miserly spending habits of his predecessor and 3. Keep the team in MN where it belongs. I for one hope that the NFL rejects the bid so that local efforts at owership have a chance. Since the team is not worth $625 mil without a new stadium, and the people of the state of MN are unlikely to approve money for a new stadium without local ownership, I feel the NFL would prefer to give a local bidder a fair chance. Glen Taylor (owner of the MN Timberwolves) is the most likely local candidate for ownership, but he didn't become a multi-billionare by being stupid. Without a new stadium, the team is worth something like $450 - $500 million. I hope Fowler fails in his bid to buy the team. Although I detest the idea of public financing for a stadium, I would be willing to support a well thought out plan in 2007 if there were local ownership. The Last the thing the Vikings need is another outsider who cares nothing for the city or state off of which he stands to make a lot of money. Remember what those damn Texans did with our NORTH Stars!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I agree that from here on out what is important is how is does as an owner. I started this thread because I felt that this occasion was worthy of note. Despite laws, racism is alive and well in the hearts of many . I wish him well.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Common Man

I agree that from here on out what is important is how is does as an owner. I started this thread because I felt that the this occasion was worthy of note. Despite laws, racism is alive and well in the hearts of many . I wish him well.

The NFL is the best run professional sports league out there. While racism may be "alive and well" in many hearts, my gut feeling is that such an intelligently organization would not let race stand in the way of stability and continued profitability. If Mr. Fowler's ownership of the Vikings is seen as the best way to assure these two things, then I think the league will give the sale its blessing. For the reasons I listed above, I hope this does not happen.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Doesn't the whole so-called signifance of the man's race seem anachronistic?

Only if you actually believe that racism is dead. In which case, I've got this bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

Dude only has a reported net worth in the range of $400M. It's going to be tight for the owners to approve the deal as much as they might like to for PR reasons. To be the general partner he will need about $150M cash on the barrelhead, minimum. And that's with a $125M NFL loan, more cash if he doesn't want that. How many business owners can cough up a third of their net worth in cash??? Good luck to him if he can.

You forgot to mention the goverment grants he will get because he is a minority.