Pop-ups

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I know. I could Pith Helmet them away, with all the banner ads too.

But is it possible for the owners of this site to stipulate that they will not accept advertiser's pop-ups? What's the deal?

It's just that, for those of us who surf the internet, as opposed to those of us who sell advertising space on their websites, pop-ups are evil. They make us want to never visit a site again.

edit: pop-ups are bad.

I'm a little hazy on the selling ad space thing on websites. This is a serious question.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

...pop-ups are evil. They make us want to never visit a site again.

Totally agree....

Has to be sorted out now!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I'm adding my voice.

No pop-ups please.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Current culprit advertisers (may vary by user/adserverrules) include...

DeVry

Date.ca

10,000 Free Smilies

<additions here>
  • Reply 4 of 13
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Seconded. Pop-ups really annoy the frick out of me. And I tend to stop visiting sites that annoy me.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I surf this site with Safari, and the last few times, even with pop-up protection on, I'm getting pop-up ads!

What's the deal? I thought Safari killed all pop-ups. That's the reason I stopped surfing this site with XP/IE.

GTSC
  • Reply 6 of 13
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    I'm using FireFox and even with the popup blocker i'm still getting these damn ads..... the ONLY site on the whole internet this has ever happened to me with. There's something dodgy going on at Appleinsider.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    I have started to get these popups too and I am not happy. I have no objection to websites making money from advertisements, after all they have to live too. My objection is to the use of popups for this purpose.

I shall not complain if you have banner ads on every page that keep changing with every visit to the page or something; I also do not object to using the entire left or right side of the page for ads, but please, please no popups.

Cheers
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Way hay. It looks like this forum's unmoderated!

Fuck, cunt, piss, FREE iPOD, Scott's a dick, where's a good place to get warez?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Fuck, cunt, piss, FREE iPOD, Scott's a dick, where's a good place to get warez?

Funny man.

I think the workaround is that some ads now pop up a window in response to a mouseover event, bypassing the "only allow pop ups when asked" rule. Sleazy.

I'm giving Kasper a heads-up.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Funny man.

I think the workaround is that some ads now pop up a window in response to a mouseover event, bypassing the "only allow pop ups when asked" rule. Sleazy.

I'm giving Kasper a heads-up.

Cool.

I just love to make a fuss.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Guys --

We are sorry about this. This isn't something we've done, but rather FastClick. I'm working to resolve this problem as soon as possible. If I cannot solve it, we will cease to work with FastClick. I'm sorry about this sudden stupidty from them.

Kasper
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

but please, please no popups.

Pop ups actually don't bother me, it's the ones that circumvent my pop up blocker that do.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Pop ups actually don't bother me, it's the ones that circumvent my pop up blocker that do.

Amen.

Just to be helpful, I have a direct link to the Appleinsider forums, and the popup ad appears immediately, even though there is no mouseover action taking place on my computer when I arrive at this destination. Thought you might like to know that.

GTSC