Apple has changed my Windows window closing habbits

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
When I was running Windows and Linux at home, I used to move my mouse to the right to close my windows and click on the "X".

Since I got my MacMini, when I'm at work on my Windows machine, I find myself instinctively moving my mouse to the left of the window when I want to close it and end up double-clicking the application icon instead of the "X" to the right of the window.

Has anybody else had their Windows habbits "corrupted" by Apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    i actually tend to migrate without too many problems, but I use Windows very sparingly. I'm huge on keyboard shortcuts, so I have problems with changing my finger position to use control instead of command.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    i use the two systems equally as much and have no problem.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    It depends. If I am in Windows then no, not really, but if I have been working in PS for a long time on my Mac, then go to work and have a huge project to work in PS on the PC, I tend to do that because the application is the same, and I forget that I am on the particular machine. The same happens on occasion with Firefox...I just laugh at myself because nobody else would get it in the office as they are all PC people only. The strange thing is that I have never tried to close a Mac window the Windows way...Guess we know where my heart lies!8)
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Yeah I used to use Windows (not by choice you understand) and whenever I'm back on a Windows computer I totally expect Exposé hot corners and I get irritated when they're not there. Plus I catch myself twitching the mouse towards the wrong side of the Window just like our JavaCowboy.

Frustrating fast.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

Since I got my MacMini, when I'm at work on my Windows machine, I find myself instinctively moving my mouse to the left of the window when I want to close it and end up double-clicking the application icon instead of the "X" to the right of the window.

I find myself doing the same thing at work.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

When I was running Windows and Linux at home, I used to move my mouse to the right to close my windows and click on the "X".

Has anybody else had their Windows habbits "corrupted" by Apple?

Honestly, I have been doing that since windows 3.1.1, never broke the habbit in 95-8, 2000, or now in xp pro.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    What absolutely kills me in Windows is that you can't "Hide" a program. Sure, you can zoom the windows down into the taskbar, but that's not really very convenient much of the time. Some programs for Windows (Adobe apps) can essentially be hid, but they of course bring a new problem in that they cover up the whole screen with an annoying gray box.

Windows also is miserable at operating dual monitor setups. The deficiency here, and the inability to hide programs probably makes me as much as 10 mins less efficient per day. Windows's weak search functionality and poor information presentation paradigms take off another 30mins per day.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    The only thing I experience is that I have the hot corners set up for exposé. When I'm at work on this Windows box, I find myself moving the mouse to the top left corner of the screen to try to show all windows.

Basically, Windows is and always did corrupt my computing experience.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Whenever I go back on a windows machine I find myself moving my mouse over to the left to close the window. However it doesn't take me long to realize what I'm doing and quickly head in the other direction. As far as expose goes I have hot corners set up and expect every Mac to have the hot corners however most the Macs I work on don't and it?s the most irritating thing. And for some reason I try to do expose and hot keys all the time in windows and then realize what I'm doing and think again of how much I love apple.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    The main issue I have is switching between CTRL+C/V and CMD+C/V for copy/paste. That and when I want to go to the end of a message, "end" doesn't do anything on a mac (I use CMD+right), which seems kinda odd to me. What is "end" supposed to do, anyway?

• Reply 11 of 13
    I used my PB at home now after years of Windows use and Windows at college and don't really have a problem. I have move to the wrong side to close a window a couple of times. However the worst was pressing F9 yesterday at college whilst showing someone some work I had done. They questioned why I pressed F9 to run the program and I had to explain Exposé...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wingnut

The main issue I have is switching between CTRL+C/V and CMD+C/V for copy/paste. That and when I want to go to the end of a message, "end" doesn't do anything on a mac (I use CMD+right), which seems kinda odd to me. What is "end" supposed to do, anyway?

I know, the "end" thing kind of bothers me too. I think though that it works in MS Word.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    One thing that I hate about Windows is the fact that doube clicking the title bar makes it bigger or smaller...

Instead of minimizing (and without a nice effect) to the taskbar.