Overclocking new g4s

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well 1.42 ghz is certainly nice to see over at Apple.com. If these chips are 7455s then they shouldn't be going this fast, its almost as if Apple is Officially overclocking to buy time....but assuming that they are not, and that these chips are coming off the production lines(in good enough volume to make dual, and at a tempting and inventory demanding price-point even) Would it be feasible to overclock these 1.42 GHZ models to 1.6 or 1.7? thats pretty good for a g4...you'd probably need some REALLY good cooling systems maybe even Case moding.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I think if you want to overclock, you should get a P4.

And forget about that rumor of Apple overclocking their chips, that's utter BULLSHIT.

Look at the rating on the chips, if it's lower than what the chip clocks at, then it's overclocked, but it won't be lower, trust me on that.

Also if anyone is overclocking their chips, it would be Motorola, not Apple. And it's not overclocking, it's getting the last bits out of it. there's a difference there.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Did you see that article in MacAddict? According to Mot there ARE no 1.25 ghz G4s. Apple IS overclocking, that is probably why these machines are so loud and have such hardcore cooling. Not that I care, as long as they work this is actually a good idea.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't think that Apple is overclocking, but chips are specified to a Mhz rating based on an ambient condition. Chips earmarked for industrial use will be marked at a lower MHz rating than the same chip specified for desktop use, because the industrial use will put that chip into a hotter enviroment to begin with. A couple of years ago one of the upgrade makers was using G3/4s specified for industrial use and remarking them to suit their new desktop config. People got upset cause they thought they were getting overclocked chips, but that wasn't really the case.

Anyway, at the time I remarked that if Apple could deliver a consistent lower temperature through it's case it could concievably (legitimately) "overclock" available PPC's to deliver slightly higher performance from given chips at any given time.

But like I said, I don't think that's going on here, Mot probably hasn't updated their page in a while. The G4 is still being developed, Mot intends to keep selling it for a long time.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Motorola only puts on their webpage parts they can sell to the public. Privately they might make faster parts but they are all going to Apple so why bother advertising them to others?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    These chips are 7470's. Just a technicality
  • Reply 6 of 10
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>I think if you want to overclock, you should get a P4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just try and tell that to the folks over at <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com"; target="_blank">xlr8</a>.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    7470's... yea I'm quite sure they are 7455's that are going way faster than they should be. What doesn't amke any sense to me is why Motorola can get the 7455 to go at 1.42Ghz but they can't get the .13µ 7457 to go past 1.4Ghz. So either the 7457 is not going to be ready for quite some time or Apple isn't going to be using the G4 much longer.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Motorola only puts on their webpage parts they can sell to the public. Privately they might make faster parts but they are all going to Apple so why bother advertising them to others?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just a note... this statement isn't correct. Powerlogix is selling G4 1.2 and dual G4 1.2 upgrades. Apple isn't the only one getting faster parts.

But I agree with the assessment that Motorola probably hasn't updated their website with the new speeds.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    The 7470 is not supposed to be much different than the 7455. I think the only difference is DDR support.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Splinemodel how do you know they are 7470??