$2000 for a G4 with 256mb of RAM and a Radeon 9000!!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OMG!!! Not to mention no Superdrive!!! What the hell??? Sound off!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Well it could be worse. At least a SuperDrive is 'only' a $200 upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Go outside.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    G4Dude what wrong with that add a superdrive $200 go out and order another 256 of memory (less than $100) and for $2300 you have a powermac that on monday would cost you over $3000. I have already filled my taxes and in less than 16 day I will be order the dual 1.25 w/superdrive along with that sweet 20 flatscreen. I will also buy a 512 memory that I can pop into that. Hey I putting my 6500 out to pasture. The 6500 tower cost was $2299 and that was a consumer computer back then.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    On the other hand, you can get an Athlon box with a Radeon 8500 and 256 MB of RAM for something like $400 (if you build it yourself, the only way to go with PCs). Basically it would be as good as the PowerMac but it costs 1/4 the price. And the Radeon 8500 is better than the 9000.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    hey, boston, how much for the 6500?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>On the other hand, you can get an Athlon box with a Radeon 8500 and 256 MB of RAM for something like $400 (if you build it yourself, the only way to go with PCs). Basically it would be as good as the PowerMac but it costs 1/4 the price. And the Radeon 8500 is better than the 9000.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly. And people wonder why so many people complain about Apple's prices.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    EmAn,

This gets so tiresome. Go ahead and buy the damn AMD box then.

But leave out dual CPUs, OS X, iLife, 6-pin Firewire, blah, blah, blah.

Go ahead and load whatever flavor of Windows XP you enjoy. But you'll also enjoy changing that 8500 out for a new card only to have the OS bitch slap you for "piracy" and then you're forced to "upgrade" to a DCMA-RIAA-CIA compliant version of Windows in a year.

Apple is selling the whole widget. You can't compare hardware prices directly. You don't think Apple's prices are low enough? Want to buy the AMD box? Go ahead. I'm willing to pay more for the "extras" that come with my Mac. We'll also add in that all the recently updated hardware from Apple has come with substantial price reductions.

Let's not forget that the all the hardware Apple sells looks spectacular. That isn't everything, but it means something to me.

Linux, IMO, is the wildcard. But I'm not getting into that.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I find something kidn of interesting in the PC world

the company Alienware sells ridiculously priced pcs(upto 3000 dollars) If your getting a PC thats just unheard of...yet people still buy them and Alienware is considered a very good company for gaming machines...my brother is making a pretty kick ass gaming machine(top notch stats 128 geforce4 ti 4400) for only 800 bucks, what is it aobut Alienware computers that makes them cost so much?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Where are the mods? These posts have no content, and they're everywhere! Rant does not equal Content.

[quote]

OMG!!! Not to mention no Superdrive!!! What the hell??? Sound off!

<hr></blockquote>

What is that? There is no discussion there, just an invite to flame away. These boards are quickly becoming a joke, especially when compared to 'what could be' ie. the <a href="http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=frm&s=50009562&f=8300945231"; target="_blank">Mac Ach</a>.

We know Apple's prices are too expensive, just like we know PC's are much faster. There is no room for discussion on either of these issues, thus no reason for the hundreds of posts. At the very least their should be a Perpetual Bitch About Apple's Prices and/or Latest Release thread. This thread could have easily been incorporated into <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=002025"; target="_blank">this</a> thread, or <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=002040"; target="_blank">this</a> thread, or <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=002037"; target="_blank">this</a> thread...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

On the other hand, you can get an Athlon box with a Radeon 8500 and 256 MB of RAM for something like $400 (if you build it yourself, the only way to go with PCs). Basically it would be as good as the PowerMac but it costs 1/4 the price. And the Radeon 8500 is better than the 9000.

Exactly. And people wonder why so many people complain about Apple's prices.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK, I'll bite. Break down ALL the parts and tell me you can build it for $400.00. Include a monitor (flat LCD). I am interested in your parts, the brand names (quality) and the final cost. Remember to build it close to a current Pro Mac tower if possible.

Case (ATX) = $?

Mobo (Asus, etc) include specs too please (see below) = $?

Power Supply (comparable to Apple's) = $?

Floppy (ouch, but ya gotta have it) = $?

Superdrive (Pioneer) = $?

60-80 GB 7200 rpm ATA/100+ drive = $?

RAM (PC133, PC2100, PC 2700, etc) = $?

CPU (AMD?) = $?

GPU (AGP ATI 8500 or Nvidia) = $?

Modem? (56k) = $?

FANS (3-5, various sizes) = $?

Keyboard (please, no legacy serial parts) = $?

Mouse (please, no legacy serial parts) = $?

OS (Windows XP pro? or BSD, etc) = $?

Internal cables/ribbons = $?

Warranty?

Software?

LCD (17" or 20", decent resolution) =$?

------------ Misc. Components ------------

Is the NIC integrated on the mobo? is it 10/100/1000 like Apples NIC? (Yes, I do use Gigabit Ethernet! I have to have it at work.)

Is 1394b (800) integrated on the mobo?

Is USB 1.1 or 2.0 integrated on the mobo?

Audio? Bet ya need a card...

Does it have Speed Holes?? :0)

If NO to the above then please add the components into the final total

---------------------------

= $400.00 ? I think not. But I would love to be proved wrong.

I build PCs a lot and while they can be "cheaper" than comparable Macs, its a myth that you can build a GOOD one for $400. I have tried to build chap put powerful systems cheap, and I can do it, but they end up being lame-o systems for my grandma. They are never servers or game machines for $400 bucks, trust me.

Also take into account that while you can build a kick ass PC system, its resale value on eBay in a year or two is nil. Compare that to most Macs, which keep their value much longer than typical PCs.

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: dstranathan ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I suppose I should have closed this. It still had a chance early, and I have to have a string of closed threads...

We don't keep our eyes glued to the place 24/7 you know - some of us actually have jobs.

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>