Apple developing Mac OS X 10.3.9

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The answer to the question of whether there will be a Mac OS X 10.3.9 is "yes," extremely reliable sources tell AppleInsider. Apple has reportedly been working on the Mac OS X 10.3 Panther update for a few weeks -- the ninth such update that will be released for the OS since its inception. Details of the update are yet unknown, but sources claim that Apple has begun seeding builds of the system internally. External seeds of the update are expected within the next couple of weeks. More details will be published when they become available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I think I'll wait until 10.3.14. That one should do the trick :P
  • Reply 2 of 13
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I bet Apple claims that 10.3.9 will be more stable...

ERic
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Given that there's going to be a 10.3.9, it sure makes it sound as though Tiger is going to be later rather than sooner.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I wouldn't read too much into what this means regarding the release date of Tiger. It's entirely conceivable that 10.3.9 could be released *after* Tiger...not saying this is likely, but rather 10.3.9 could be a series of things Apple wants to add or fix for 10.3 users knowing that upgrading to Tiger may not be the "right" answer for them.

This could be in the form of security patches, or support for new products and/or services.

I get the sense that Jobs has commanded that Tiger ships on time...by the end of June.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    <Cleese>Next time... definitely!</Cleese>

Screed
  • Reply 6 of 13
    For some people that don't really understand the whole 10.x series. they could look at this and go "dang I have to pay $119 to go from 10.3.9 to 10.4.0" I know this is a stretch but I always find it humorous to look at it in that light...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

Given that there's going to be a 10.3.9, it sure makes it sound as though Tiger is going to be later rather than sooner.

Eh? The two are in no way connected. There are two branches in the development tree. If a fix is needed to 10.3, it would be released even after 10.4 is released.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

For some people that don't really understand the whole 10.x series. they could look at this and go "dang I have to pay $119 to go from 10.3.9 to 10.4.0" I know this is a stretch but I always find it humorous to look at it in that light...

What if the upgrade was from 10.3.11 to 10.4.0 ?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

What if the upgrade was from 10.3.11 to 10.4.0 ?

$109
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Anti-floating point.

They're probably already confused by the two decimals. But yes...

I actually laughed. Glad that's not too geeky... haha

Wait a minute... I'm on a forum for Apple...

LOL
  • Reply 11 of 13
    They are no doubt getting this out to fix a problem with at least some iMac G5's that 10.3.8 completely borks Quicktime play back with these machines.

I spent all day yesterday trying to fix my friend's iMac G5 and nothing worked until a clean re-install of the original disks. (OSX 10.3.5).

Apple support is well aware of this problem, but no fix is available yet other than a complete hard drive re-format and reload of the system disks provided.

I'm not aware of how many iMacs this affects, but they will be replacing at least one iMac if they can't get this to work.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

$109

I don't think so. Mac OS will always be the standard price unless you just purchased a system with the old OS on it, in which case you can take advantage of Mac OS Up To Date.

To Apple, 10.3.0 = 10.3.9 = 10.3.11 = 10.3.100, all versions of 10.3.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I don't think so. Mac OS will always be the standard price unless you just purchased a system with the old OS on it, in which case you can take advantage of Mac OS Up To Date.

To Apple, 10.3.0 = 10.3.9 = 10.3.11 = 10.3.100, all versions of 10.3.

It was a joke...

Eric