23" Display Screen with G4 PowerBook

whmwhm
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I stop my PowerBook from going to sleep if shut while using the display screen? Sometime I would like to use the larger screen when I do not need mirror image. If I shut the powerbook to get it out of my way it goes to sleep when shut. I'm sure there's a way to stop it from sleeping. I have a wireless key board and mouse and having the powerbook open serves no purpose.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The powerbook must be awakened with an external device.

with USB mouse or keyboard:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286

with a bluetooth mouse or keyboard

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300562
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by whm

How do I stop my PowerBook from going to sleep if shut while using the display screen? Sometime I would like to use the larger screen when I do not need mirror image. If I shut the powerbook to get it out of my way it goes to sleep when shut. I'm sure there's a way to stop it from sleeping. I have a wireless key board and mouse and having the powerbook open serves no purpose.

The question was answered already, but I was curious: how does this work for you? Is the speed of video and such on the display satisfactory? I thought it might be a lot of work for the Powerbook to power the 23" Which Powerbook and graphics card do you have? I know this is very much supported by Apple, but I was curious the real-world performance of this combination? Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    whmwhm Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thepianoguy

The powerbook must be awakened with an external device.

with USB mouse or keyboard:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286

with a bluetooth mouse or keyboard

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300562

Thanks for the answer. Yes when it goes to sleep, the wireless keyboard does indeed will wake it up. Thanks again
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

The question was answered already, but I was curious: how does this work for you? Is the speed of video and such on the display satisfactory? I thought it might be a lot of work for the Powerbook to power the 23" Which Powerbook and graphics card do you have? I know this is very much supported by Apple, but I was curious the real-world performance of this combination? Thanks.

It works FANTASTIC. Yesterday doing work at home in my office, PowerBook on the icurve with lid shut and all the programs on the 23" display screen using a wireless mouse and keyboard. It works just as good as the powerbook only much larger screen. I bought the 23" Apple screen . I have the new 1.67 GHz and 1.516 ram. It comes with 516 ram but I put in a 1 G ram card after I purchased it. As far as speed goes no problem. Only regret is that I did not go all the way with the 30" display.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by whm

I have hooked my Powerbook up to my coworkers 23" Apple display and it works just fine. However, I wanted to clarify that it is not a mirrored image you are using but rather dual display. the powerbook's (I have a 1ghz titanium) video card supports dual displays with independant resolutions. In other words you can drag things from your powerbooks screen onto the larger 23" and vice versa utilizing both screens. For this reason your computer goes to sleep when you close the powerbook. Last time I used the 23" with my powerbook I was running around 1900x1600 on the 23" and the maximum resolution on the 15" powerbook screen 1280x854 (not certain if these were the exact resolutions) and it ran like a champion.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Sometimes I do also use the set up with the 23" and the powerbook. By dragging the mouse it's possible to move programs from one to the other. Yesterday I wanted to use only the 23" display and sit back prop up my feet and use the wireless mouse and keyboard. By closing the top of the powerbook it will go to sleep and the 23' display will also go black. When hitting a key on the wireless keyboard the large screen will come on as if it's the main screen. You are able to start and stop any application you have on your powerbook. The dock will appear at the same location you have it set on you powerbook. You're able to launch safari, e-mail etc.