messed up airport

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ok well before just this past christmas i had a G3 orange imac. our airbort base station thingy is 2 floors up. i rarely got problems with the airport in it.

well after this x mas i got a G5 imac with airport, and i set it up in the exact same place and everything is exactly the same. except for one problem. i cant get internet signal! for temporary time i just hooked up an ethernet cable... and never got around to findin out whats rong. and the thing is, if i put it up stairs in the room that the base station is in, it works just fine.

does any one kno whats rong?

thanks for any help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    The first thing to chech is that the aerial is connected! did you install the card yourself or was it fitted before delivery?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    no it was installed by apple.. and what do u mean ariel?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

no it was installed by apple.. and what do u mean ariel?

The antenna that comes with the G5. You will not get a signal untill it's installed.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    well it works fine when its close to the airport station.. its jus when its in the basement ( where i use it) it doesnt get signal. and i know it isnt out of range. cuz my ibook G3 works fine down here. its weird
  • Reply 5 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

well it works fine when its close to the airport station.. its jus when its in the basement ( where i use it) it doesnt get signal. and i know it isnt out of range. cuz my ibook G3 works fine down here. its weird

g doesn't get as a good a range as b. That could be the problem. Also different computers get different strengths. My PowerBook gets less good signal than my sisters iBook.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    In this extrememly recent thread someone jumps to some silly conclusions about airport being shitty because they can't get a signal. Then when they realize that they haven't read Apple's complex instruction manuals about plugging in the antenna, they limp off with their tail between their legs.

Then some genius suggests that a Sticky be created on this subject. But Genii are always ignored in their own time. Oh wait, that was a Mod. WTF? Where be the stickies at, kind sirs?

--B
  • Reply 7 of 7
    well in that thread the problem was with the apple airport extreme. i dont have an apple airport base station. and i get good signal when im like within 10 feet of it. but after that, it goes down. and i dont have a g5 powermac i have a g5 i mac.. which has no aluminum case so the airport wouldnt be bothered. i am clueless on what to do now.