MacMini, what kind of Airport?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently purchased the 1.42ghz Mini in January. So far so good on day to day use, but I'm planning to add WiFi. Looking at Apple's site, there is reference to an Airport "module," that cannot be upgraded by the user. Granted, they also tell you that you should have the RAM upgraded professionally, but that didn't take much effort on my part to put a 1GB DIMM inside. Now they used the term "module," which certainly sounds like it's something different than a "card." Does this mean the mini uses some other kind of airport adapter? I'm not sure what to get, but after looking at the insides, the only available port didn't look like a mini-pci slot that notebooks have. \

So what do I need to buy, and do you think I can install it myself? I've built several systems before, so I'm not all thumbs.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I remember seeing a picture of the module on Toms Hardware from when I read their review of the Mac Mini. I looked it up here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20...mputer-04.html

If you scroll a bit down you can see a picture of the daughter card that apparently also connects to the bluetooth module. I have no clue where you can actually order it, however.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Interesting looking device. It's much bigger than I imagined it would be. It must take up what little space remains. Having the WiFi and bluetooth together for $100 isn't too bad, considering an airport card is $79 already. Of course, I have no use for bluetooth. \ When I finally get around to adding the part, I will have to do some searching on where to buy one.

Thanks for the quick reply!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Unfortunately, i haven't heard of the wifi upgrade being orderable separately.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    you could try getting a USB adapter that will work through WiFi from Netgear or another company that works w/ OS X
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by kernel843

you could try getting a USB adapter that will work through WiFi from Netgear or another company that works w/ OS X

Or an Ethernet based thingy such as the ZyXEL G-405!

I use one of these when I have my PB in clamshell mode, because there is no acceptable WiFi signal level where my desk is.

Works perfect!