20Gb price drop in the UK but not the US

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just noticed, in the UK the iPod 20Gb has been dropped in price by £10, but there is no change in the US price strange.

I reckon that it won't be long until the 20Gb is phased out, but Apple need to keep it for the time being, as if they deleted it straight off, the cheapest full iPod would be £249, when it was previously £219. Give it 9 months tops, the price of the cheapest photo will drop to £209 and then they can drop the standard model without anyone complaining about having to pay more for a decent sized iPod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Just noticed, in the UK the iPod 20Gb has been dropped in price by £10, but there is no change in the US price strange.

I reckon that it won't be long until the 20Gb is phased out, but Apple need to keep it for the time being, as if they deleted it straight off, the cheapest full iPod would be £249, when it was previously £219. Give it 9 months tops, the price of the cheapest photo will drop to £209 and then they can drop the standard model without anyone complaining about having to pay more for a decent sized iPod.

I think this drop is to adjust to the economy and the weak dollar. The iPod mini 6GB is the $249 price point the old 4GB on was at. Over here it's £10 less than the 4GB used to be... This suggests it's across the board, as I don't think they got dropped when the cinema displays et al were dropped.

I think they need the 20GB monochrome between the iPod mini and iPod photo. It would certainly tempt me to go from 6GB to 20GB. At some point, of course the 20GB will be dropped and be replaced by probably the 30GB, with the 60GB and then 80GB on top. Leaving an all colour iPod line.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

I think this drop is to adjust to the economy and the weak dollar. The iPod mini 6GB is the $249 price point the old 4GB on was at. Over here it's £10 less than the 4GB used to be... This suggests it's across the board, as I don't think they got dropped when the cinema displays et al were dropped.

I think they need the 20GB monochrome between the iPod mini and iPod photo. It would certainly tempt me to go from 6GB to 20GB. At some point, of course the 20GB will be dropped and be replaced by probably the 30GB, with the 60GB and then 80GB on top. Leaving an all colour iPod line.

Hmm, true. A few weeks back they dropped the prices of everything but the iPods. I completely agree with your thoughts on the future of the 20Gb as well.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    It is due to the weak US economy and the resulting fall in the value of the US dollar. Nothing to see here, move along.