Apple vp describes iPod Camera Connector

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Along with new iPod photo models, Apple yesterday announced the iPod Camera connector, an optional (US)$29 accessory that enables iPod users to connect their digital camera to an iPod to transfer photos. But the company only described the device and did not produce a photo. In an interview with CNet News.com, Apple vice president, Greg Joswiak, described the camera connector as "a small white plastic device, similar in appearance to a small docking station, that has a cable for connecting to the iPod and a USB port for connecting to a camera." It will work with both the new iPod photos and with earlier photo player models, said Joswiak, who also heads Apple's iPod product marketing. "Pictures loaded onto an iPod directly will be able to display immediately on the iPod. But for the photos to be shown on a TV, the iPod Photo will need to be connected to a Mac or PC first."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I wonder why Kaspers automated ghost posted this in FH?
  • Reply 2 of 29
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I wonder why Kaspers automated ghost posted this in FH?

Temporary Insanity...the reason, not the forum.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    maybe because it will not be available until late March... (?)
  • Reply 4 of 29
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Power Apple

maybe because it will not be available until late March... (?)

good one...

sad it doesn't work with previous, non"photo" iPods.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:

But for the photos to be shown on a TV, the iPod Photo will need to be connected to a Mac or PC first.

Oh brother.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

good one...

Indeed. Just because I don't have a colour screen, it'd be nice to be able to store them on there. Hey ho.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Manatee

Oh brother.

" Joswiak, who also heads Apple's iPod product marketing. "Pictures loaded onto an iPod directly will be able to display immediately on the iPod. But for the photos to be shown on a TV, the iPod Photo will need to be connected to a Mac or PC first."

Can that be correct? I thought an existing iPod Photo feature was that you could carry your photos with you on the 'Pod and view them elsewhere on a TV. Perhaps that can't be done only with photos loaded onto the 'Pod in the field? Maybe they need some sort of "processing" performed by offloading to iPhoto and back again to the 'Pod, to be of a sort that can be viewed on a TV? And surely Joswiak doesn't mean the 'pod has to be connected "to a mac or pc" WHILE those pictures can be displayed on a TV, just "first", meaning "before" that can be done? Somebody clarify for me.

terry
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

It might still work with 3G iPods... check out this post from Gizmodo.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by rtdunham

... I thought an existing iPod Photo feature was that you could carry your photos with you on the 'Pod and view them elsewhere on a TV. Perhaps that can't be done only with photos loaded onto the 'Pod in the field? Maybe they need some sort of "processing" performed by offloading to iPhoto and back again to the 'Pod, to be of a sort that can be viewed on a TV? And surely Joswiak doesn't mean the 'pod has to be connected "to a mac or pc" WHILE those pictures can be displayed on a TV, just "first", meaning "before" that can be done? Somebody clarify for me.

terry

I guess this means that an iPod photo doesn't have that kind of processing power. Anyway, iTunes creates a copy of the original image into a TV quality version.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

I guess this means that an iPod photo doesn't have that kind of processing power. Anyway, iTunes creates a copy of the original image into a TV quality version.

good one. that sounds reasonable... a bit of a bummer though that you cant show it on a TV straight away, and only USB2.0 for digicam to iPod transfer? hmmm
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I was excited when I first heard about the iPod Camera Connector. It was even making me consider buying an iPod Photo. After reading the description I'm extremely disappointed.

Perfect! Run down the batteries of your iPod AND your camera while transferring photos! Why doesn't someone introduce a self powered FIreWire memory card reader that can transfer photos to an iPod or a Mac?
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Well, if the connection is USB2 and your digi-cam is also USB2, transferring, say 256MB of photos shouldn't take that long and hence sholdn't wear down batteries too much.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffharris

I was excited when I first heard about the iPod Camera Connector. It was even making me consider buying an iPod Photo. After reading the description I'm extremely disappointed.

Perfect! Run down the batteries of your iPod AND your camera while transferring photos! Why doesn't someone introduce a self powered FIreWire memory card reader that can transfer photos to an iPod or a Mac?

Perfect! Then you can run down the batteries of your iPod, camera, and your Firewire memory card reader!
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Perfect! Then you can run down the batteries of your iPod, camera, and your Firewire memory card reader!

Actually, you'd REMOVE the memory card from the camera! Then, insert the card in the reader and the card reader's batteries or AC/DC power would power/charge the iPod while transferring files. Simple.

If you're transferring files from a 256MB, 512MB or 1GB card, it's slow via USB and the batteries WILL run down.

I use a Minds@Work battery & AC powered card reader/hard drive. It works, but is bulky. An iPod with a self-powered and more robust external solution would be perfect.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Doesn't the Belkin Media Read fit the bill? Actually, I don't think it will transfer to a computer, just the iPod. But, it is self powered and users FireWire. Of course, it is 3 times the price of Apple's coming solution.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

Doesn't the Belkin Media Read fit the bill? Actually, I don't think it will transfer to a computer, just the iPod. But, it is self powered and users FireWire. Of course, it is 3 times the price of Apple's coming solution.

The Belkin uses USB 1.1 NOT FireWire.

Transferring photos from cards larger than 64MB is a PAINFUL experience. Get up to 256MB and above and it's pure misery, as well as a battery gulping nightmare.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

The Belkin uses USB 1.1 NOT FireWire.

Transferring photos from cards larger than 64MB is a PAINFUL experience. Get up to 256MB and above and it's pure misery, as well as a battery gulping nightmare.

Belkin: Media Reader for iPod w/ Dock Connector

Advantages

?\tSaves thousands of digital images on your iPod

?\tTransfers digital photos via FireWire at 300KBps

?\tComes with a 3-Year Warranty

?\tIndicates power and data transfer status of Media Reader with LED indicator

?\tStores cable away easily when not in use with onboard cable/connector storage

?\tProtects the media slots from pocket dust and dirt at all times with sliding port features

?\tSupports CompactFlash® (Type 1 and 2), SmartMedia?, Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick®, or MultiMediaCard (MMC)

?\tWorks with iPod software version 2.1 or later, using on-screen user interface

?\tIncludes 4 AAA batteries

?\tMedia Reader Dimensions: 3.35" x 3.94" x 0.81" (85mm x 100mm X 20.5mm)

Media Reader for iPod w/ Dock Connector

You are correct if you were talking about their Camera connector though.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Sorry...double post
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Sorry...double post
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

this kind of stuff cracks me up. when belkin came out with their reader, everyone was pissed cause it required batteries, and wondered why the power couldnt be provided by the ipod. now apple comes out with a small, nice, self-powered adapter and people are pissed cause their ipods b-life will be short. this is exactly what will happen if an ipod supports video too.