I finally ordered a Powerbook! What should I do when it arrives?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have been contemplating which Mac to buy for the last two years and have been putting it off since I sold my iMac G3. After multiple ?what to buy? threads, I have finally made a purchase and I?m so excited!!! This is what I ordered:

PowerBook 15"

1.5GHz w/ 64MB VRAM

512MB RAM

80GB hard drive

8x SuperDrive

It should be getting here late next week and I plan to buy an Apple keyboard, a Logitech mouse, speakers, and Techtool Pro 4 and then eventually APP, an iPod, photo printer, and a case.

I do know I have to drain the battery completely once and then recharge it, but my one question is: Are there any tests/hardware tests I should run when it gets here just to make sure everything is alright?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Appreciate the packaging. Our iMac G4 packaging was just amazing. Apple's genius goes all the way out to the box!

Congratulations on the Powerbook!

Aries 1B
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

I have been contemplating which Mac to buy for the last two years and have been putting it off since I sold my iMac G3. After multiple ?what to buy? threads, I have finally made a purchase and I?m so excited!!! This is what I ordered:

PowerBook 15"

1.5GHz w/ 64MB VRAM

512MB RAM

80GB hard drive

8x SuperDrive

It should be getting here late next week and I plan to buy an Apple keyboard, a Logitech mouse, speakers, and Techtool Pro 4 and then eventually APP, an iPod, photo printer, and a case.

I do know I have to drain the battery completely once and then recharge it, but my one question is: Are there any tests/hardware tests I should run when it gets here just to make sure everything is alright?

just use it.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

PowerBook 15"

1.5GHz w/ 64MB VRAM

512MB RAM

80GB hard drive

8x SuperDrive

yes, first thing to do is calibrate the battery as you described

there should also be an apple hardware test CD that comes with it that you can use to test all the hardware to your heart's content...

sweet enjoy it! blog your photos of opening the case and all that so that we may enjoy that experience too...

enjoy that fresh plastic smell as you gently RIP APART the packaging, releasing your sexy new PowerBook

looks like your leaning towards Klipsch speakers

also, remember, if you buy APP in the next few months remember that your original warranty is only 90days phone support, buy APP in the first year and you have phone support all through that first year and 2nd and third year
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

I do know I have to drain the battery completely once and then recharge it

It may just be a technicality, but you actually charge first, than drain.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Why does this have to be done? I thought the newer Li-Ion type batteries did not suffer the same memory problems that old Ni-Cad batteries did. Is this something I should be doing to my iPod too?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Oh, does the battery come without being charged?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

Why does this have to be done? I thought the newer Li-Ion type batteries did not suffer the same memory problems that old Ni-Cad batteries did. Is this something I should be doing to my iPod too?

it's not like Nicad where if you didn't do it the first time your battery is completely f8cked

from my experience, the Li-Ion batteries in iPod and PowerBook, iBook, etc, you don't necessarily have to do it the very first time you use it, but in the first few days is usually good to just follow whatever the manual asks you to do, and you just do it once, then your set for the next several years

something to do with 'calibrating' or 'optimising' the battery

hmmm electronics/chemistry/etc was never my favourite subject, there's still a lot of voodoo going on with these modern batteries in people's minds

but anyway the Apple manual is the best guide on how to get the most from your Ibook PowerBook or iPod battery....
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Oh, does the battery come without being charged?

that's what surprised me about new apple laptops in the box the battery is usually at least 3/4 charged out of the box
  • Reply 9 of 12
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Top 10 Answers to your question Please pick one:

1. Send it to me! <my favorite

2. cover yourself in whipped cream and do a little apple dance!

3. Go online and complain that it isn't a g5

4. Download nekkid pics of Steve J. for wallpaper

5. install virtual PC so that you don't have to look at such clean OS design

6. Revel in the thought of: no spyware, adware, or virii

7. Check Appleinsider to see what we all think!!

8. Start saving for the next apple product

9. Remember Applecare is part of the Price!

10. Enjoy

• Reply 10 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

Li-ion batteries do not have the same memory problems, however there is a computer chip that determines how much charge is left in your battery. Fully charging the battery sets the maximum values, and fully discharging it sets the minimum values. The computer uses this information to calculate how much time is remaining.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Top 10 Answers to your question Please pick one:

1. Send it to me! <my favorite

2. cover yourself in whipped cream and do a little apple dance!

3. Go online and complain that it isn't a g5

4. Download nekkid pics of Steve J. for wallpaper

5. install virtual PC so that you don't have to look at such clean OS design

6. Revel in the thought of: no spyware, adware, or virii

7. Check Appleinsider to see what we all think!!

8. Start saving for the next apple product

9. Remember Applecare is part of the Price!

10. Enjoy

Thanks for the great advice, lol!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    whmwhm Posts: 50member
    Use it, enjoy it, sleep with it, and remember it always loves you even on your bad days!!!!!!