How do I access my ipod hdd connected to my iMac from my iBook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My iPod is connected to my iMac. I want to work with the files on the iPod but do it across the network from my iBook.

How do I do this? When I go through the finder and access my iMac I can only mount my user account on the iMac. I hope there is a way to access my iPod over the network.

Regards,

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

My iPod is connected to my iMac. I want to work with the files on the iPod but do it across the network from my iBook.

How do I do this? When I go through the finder and access my iMac I can only mount my user account on the iMac. I hope there is a way to access my iPod over the network.

Regards,

Eric

On my network when I try to access my computer (from a Mac) I get an option of which drives to mount - one I've typed in the user-name and password. Do you not get this option as well? Are you using 10.3.7 or above?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    10.3.8 on both

When accessing my iMac from my iBook I double click my iMac's computer icon. Then I have to enter my username and password. When it ask what I want to mount, the only option I have is my username. It doesn't list a particular drive to mount.

Eric
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

10.3.8 on both

When accessing my iMac from my iBook I double click my iMac's computer icon. Then I have to enter my username and password. When it ask what I want to mount, the only option I have is my username. It doesn't list a particular drive to mount.

Eric

Oh, well when I have my external hard drive plugged in a get the option. Obviously iPods don't support this! I assume the iPod is enabled as an external disk (it would have to be to even contemplate sharing it over the network!) Could you copy the iPod to the iMac first?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    If the iPod is mounted on the remote machine and you're connecting via ssh I'd suggest taking a look in /Volumes/Eric's\\ iPod

or whatever the iPod is called - you can access loads of things from there but the directory structure is, um, interesting.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Don't you need to tell the iPod to appear as a volume, and not just in iTunes? I think it's in Preferences:iPod in iTunes. If the iPod appears on your Desktop as a volume, though, I would think it should be accessible from other computers via Apple File Sharing. You won't be able to manipulate it in iTunes from another computer, though - just access the data-only files, same as you would from the Finder on the computer it's plugged into.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Via SSH I can access the iPod.

The iPod mounts on my desktop and I use it as a HDD between work and home. However, using Apple File Sharing I can only mount my user account. I find that weird.

Eric
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Via SSH I can access the iPod.

The iPod mounts on my desktop and I use it as a HDD between work and home. However, using Apple File Sharing I can only mount my user account. I find that weird.

Eric

It's probably Mac OS X not treating it as a proper hard drive. Just out of interest was there any reason you couldn't plug it into your iBook? Or are you using the iMac as a hub.

I wish I hadn't given my G3 iMac to my sister. I would be able to print, scan wirelessly and access hard drives etc. Also I wouldn't be without a computer for two weeks. :-(