Problem playing saved .SWF game files in QuickTime Player

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Let's face it... we get bored... and since have a memory key I feel I should be able to save my own games from websites to be able to play them from the key since there's practically every way imaginable to get around a firewall is blocked...

I tried saving the source file (like swf) of a game site of a game... and tried opening with quicktime but it didn't work... do you know of any solutions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you have the .swf, try opening it up in Safari or a Web browser. The game may also require more resources from the web that you have not downloaded or have access to.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    The only way I know how to get through it is my own computer. If I save the html page (and can edit out the advertisement and schtuff) and I have visited to site, then it saves it in the cache and I can play the game offline.

That is the only way I have found myself to come across the problem.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    So, what is exactly the problem? Does the source code work or is the firewall blocking something?

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

So, what is exactly the problem? Does the source code work or is the firewall blocking something?

Dobby.

The firewall blocks it, and just saving the .swf file doesn't get everything that something like Quicktime needs.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well that's screwed up. I regularly save the .swf file to my drive and play it later, but you *have* to drag the .swf file to a Safari window. QuickTime Player won't do it.

You don't have to be online, just use Safari, at least for the games I play. Yours may indeed require you to be online to contact the mothership for something, in which case you're SOL.

Want to give us an example URL to go try it ourselves?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Unfourtanetly, Quicktime sucks for playing flash games because Quicktime tries to play them like movies. The solution for this is to go to "Get Info" for a .swf and change all .swf files to launch in Safari.

I am confused by the subject: A way around school's firewall because I don't understand what you want to get around. If you mean that some ports are blocked, that is simple to get around assuming you have a broadband internet connection and a computer at home.

If you mean that the sites you use to play the games are blocked via a proxy, that is also simple to get around. The easiest way is to use babelfish.altavista.com and translate the page from french or something, as babelfish will load it and the proxy will think you're looking at babelfish instead of playing a game.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    My guess is that iShawn is misdiagnosing the problem, and thinking that a firewall is in the way because QT can't play the Flash games. \
  • Reply 8 of 10
    In which case, how about a thread title change...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

In which case, how about a thread title change...

As soon as we have confirmation, I'm on it. I'd rather not change the title based on a bad assumption on my part.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    You can change the thread name... unless I can... i am unsure of the moderator/user/administrator powers with this forum... but I will check as soon as I finish this. Kickaha's suggestion worked... I wish I thought of this... but I guess it never dawned on me to save it to memory key/disk and just open that with a browser. I assume IE can open this too so that I can play it on Windows machines and unfortunately (the only mac machines at school) OS 9 machines.

Thanks for the suggestions though, Kick's worked best though.