Orginal iPod had 2 90Mhz chips....along came the mini.. now all down scaled ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Is the direction of Apple / new iPods to be longer battery life -and less features ??

Orginal iPod 5GB

had two embedded ARM7TDMI chips, operating at up to 90 Mhz each.

CPU Speed: dual 90 Mhz embedded

iPod mini

iPod Click Wheel

IPod Special Edition

iPod Photo

CPU Speed: dual 80 Mhz embedded

based on the PP5020 System-on-a-chip, which was much less power-hungry than the PP5002 used in previous players

It went FROM 90Mhz TO 80Mhz

QUESTIONS

"NEW iPod mini lasts up to 18 hours on a single charge".......Does the new iPod mini have a even slower Chip?

Why does the iPod mini need as "powerful" CPU as the iPod photo?

Is the direction of Apple / new iPods to be longer battery life -and less features ?? i.e. One would think a backwards move in CPU speed would add even more hints Apple is NOT going to have a Video iPod

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    It has to be said:

It's not about the megahertz dummy! (I thought we'd been over this!)

either that or "som3b0dy st0l3 my m3gahur7z!!!1!one!"
  • Reply 2 of 6
    they have probably developed more efficient ways of writing code and playing music, nothing to get fluffy about.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    For embedded chips it's not the speed that matters.

Most of the chips for MP3 players have hardware encoding/decoding for things like MP3/AAC/WMA/JPG/MPEG/whatever.

The speed doesn't matter because it can mostly handle these things in real time because the chip is specifically designed to deal with these formats.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    M.O.S.T could you find out if the new 80Mhz chips are a new cpu or the same. The "Mhz" aren't going to tell us anything if we're not comparing the same processor.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

Is the direction of Apple / new iPods to be longer battery life -and less features ??

Orginal iPod 5GB

had two embedded ARM7TDMI chips, operating at up to 90 Mhz each.

CPU Speed: dual 90 Mhz embedded

iPod mini

iPod Click Wheel

IPod Special Edition

iPod Photo

CPU Speed: dual 80 Mhz embedded

based on the PP5020 System-on-a-chip, which was much less power-hungry than the PP5002 used in previous players

It went FROM 90Mhz TO 80Mhz

QUESTIONS

"NEW iPod mini lasts up to 18 hours on a single charge".......Does the new iPod mini have a even slower Chip?

Why does the iPod mini need as "powerful" CPU as the iPod photo?

Is the direction of Apple / new iPods to be longer battery life -and less features ?? i.e. One would think a backwards move in CPU speed would add even more hints Apple is NOT going to have a Video iPod

my Photo iPod has more features that my original iPod but is slower - probably because it's got a larger harddrive. That's not due to the processor though. Actual speeds of notes, games etc is better.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    The current iPod and iPod mini models use dual 80MHz processors. I'm sure they are more efficient chips and the firmware probably is as well. Actually the two 80MHz processors reside on the same chip so I guess it could be said that Apple already ships a dual-core processor. The iPod Shuffle has only a single 75 MHz processor.