reliability of gmail

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all. I am relatively new to gmail. I have only been using it for a couple of months, but I like its concept and execution. A question to those who have been using it for a while longer: have there been any reliability issues with gmail? Any instances of people sending emails that were never received or of people never receiving emails that were sent to them? I am considering whether or not to renew my hotmail premium account. This account has been extremely reliable for me over the past three years. I would keep it except that I now get so much junk mail to it that I have to put the filter on "exclusive" to keep my inbox clean. Unfortunately this also means that many legitimate emails get sent to my junk mail folder to wait for me to find them. My gmail account is still pristine. As I move forward into residency application I need a reliable email service that I can access from anywhere. Is the gmail beta stable and reliable enough for any of you to consider using it for correspondence regarding job applications, scheduling interviews and the such?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I've found g-mail to be the most reliable free e-mail service.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I've found gmail to be irritatingly slow at times. I don't mean pageload times I mean message delivery. I've had emails take 8-24 hours to get to me or be sent by me, which, for business use is unacceptable. It is beta though so I've never used it for business.

Then there are page caching problems where is stays at the "page loading" page until you hit refresh constantly.

Overall it's poor but because it's Google and beta I am sticking with it for the long haul, it'll be better and I like it better than any of the others.

And despite my complaints the vast majority of my gmail usage has been positive. It's just that I need my email service to be close to 99.9999999999% reliable and right now it's like 96%. Again, it's beta.

Perhaps dabble with it, see how you like it and use it for personal stuff for now. At the very least, gobble up your username so later when it's not beta you can join with the name you want,
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Then there are page caching problems where is stays at the "page loading" page until you hit refresh constantly.

I have had this problem also on both my iMac G5 and my powerbook. However, no problems on my XP machine. :/ FWIW
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

I have had this problem also on both my iMac G5 and my powerbook. However, no problems on my XP machine. :/ FWIW

I have it with my iBook as well. My PC at work doesn't have the problem.

But I don't have to reboot my four year old iBook four times a day like I do with my spiffy new Dell.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Its a problem with Mac computers in general - on my Sony PC it works perfectly fine, however, on my iBook sometimes it doesn't load. I don't know why.

But, although its Beta, I think its perfectly reliable. And don't forget that Google likes to keep its programs/services in Beta for a long time - they want to keep building up on the programs/services while they're in Beta and then release them as full-fledged programs instead of releasing them and then adding features.

So, I believe it's going to be in Beta for quite some time.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Once in a while, I get a Java popup that claims that the server is too busy, and that I should re-request the function in a minute or two. Yesterday, I got a server error when I tried to access the Gmail server. Other than that, it's pretty damn stable.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    i trust gmail more than i trust ... um... well i trust gmail so much that i can't even finish my sentance.

gmail is good.