So many options for backup software, so little time

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can anyone recommend some decent backup software. My needs, I think, are fairly basic.

I want to backup my critical files from one drive on my G5 and put them in a folder on another drive on the same G5. Would also like to backup my wife's files. She has a G4 which is on my wireless, in home network.

I'd like to be able to schedule regular backups and forget about it. I'd also like to be able to change the parameters of the backup (what the program backs up and where) fairly easily.

I've read about Psynch (which hasn't been updated for more than a year according to the site) BRU, and Retrospect.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nirrad

Can anyone recommend some decent backup software. My needs, I think, are fairly basic.

I want to backup my critical files from one drive on my G5 and put them in a folder on another drive on the same G5. Would also like to backup my wife's files. She has a G4 which is on my wireless, in home network.

I'd like to be able to schedule regular backups and forget about it. I'd also like to be able to change the parameters of the backup (what the program backs up and where) fairly easily.

I've read about Psynch (which hasn't been updated for more than a year according to the site) BRU, and Retrospect.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Do you have a .Mac account? If so, the application "Backup" is part of the package. It is a great application. I use it all the time.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I do actually. That's a great idea. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I just realized that my .mac expired 'cause I never really used it.

Not only that but I don't know that I want to pay $99/year for essentially backup software.

Thanks again for the suggestion but I'm still open to hearing more...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    SuperDuper. Search on macupdate for it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by nirrad

I just realized that my .mac expired 'cause I never really used it.

Not only that but I don't know that I want to pay $99/year for essentially backup software.

Thanks again for the suggestion but I'm still open to hearing more...

On Amazon, the retail box for .mac is only $75 I think.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I do this with a cron script:

#!/bin/bash

cd /Volumes/disk2/backups

tar -cvjf imac-backup-`date +%d-%m-%y`.tar.bz2 /Users/

of course this assumes you want to back up all of the Users directory to the directory backups on a second disk named disk2.

If this has just confused the heck out of you, sorry. It is possible to get this to work, and it's free but at the same time its not exactly straightforward.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Tryout Synk 5 - www.decimus.net/synk