How to delete system 9 folder from old mac?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi.

When I used setup assistant to take things from my iBook to Powerbook, it copied over OS 9 Applications and the system folder for OS 9, from the iBook. With the iBook, the system 9 stuff was preinstalled, where now it is not. I do not want or need it.

I deleted the Applications folder, but it won't let me delete the Systems Folder (from the old mac), for it says the system folder is required. However, inside it, is only OS 9 classic stuff. Do I really need it ? Anything I can do to get rid of it? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You can delete it safely, but you will NOT be able to run "Classic" under OSX.

If you aren't "allowed" to delete it, you can log in as root and delete any darn file you want to.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Hi.

When I used setup assistant to take things from my iBook to Powerbook, it copied over OS 9 Applications and the system folder for OS 9, from the iBook. With the iBook, the system 9 stuff was preinstalled, where now it is not. I do not want or need it.

I deleted the Applications folder, but it won't let me delete the Systems Folder (from the old mac), for it says the system folder is required. However, inside it, is only OS 9 classic stuff. Do I really need it ? Anything I can do to get rid of it? Thanks.

Press Apple-I after selecting the 'system folder' folder, then click on the permissions tab. Change the owner to you and you can then delete - click the button at the bottom to apply to all files. You can do this to any file that wont delete.

Don't play with permissions too much if you've got more than one user as they may struggle if you change the owner to yourself. HOWEVER, for the system folder as you're deleting it, it's safe.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    TO DELETE YOUR SYSTEM FOLDER

Few Steps to Follow

1. First go to ur system preferences, the to accounts, and then change from list of users to name and password.

2. Click on the finder, then applictaions, then utilities and then to ur net info manager

3. Open the net info manager, once u have it open u will see either the middle or on both sides few options. DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THOSE "

4. Just make sure that the application is selected, then u will see few menus " NetinfoManager, Domain Directory et.. on the menu bar

5. There u will also see Security " Click There "

6. Then select Authenticate

7. It will ask u ur login password " Enter your password that u just login to the system "

8. One u do that the window will disappear

9. Click again on Security

10. Now u will see it giving u the option to enable root user

11. Once u do that , it will ask u to select the pasword

12. Once that is done Log off and log back in again

13. Remember to login as a " root ' ur login is " root "

14. Your password is " that u choose "

15. Have fun

By doing that u can show everyones User Folder and there history

Normally this action is done by the Admin
  • Reply 4 of 4
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Open terminal, type:

sudo rm -d /System\\ Folder

Be very careful to type exaclty as I've typed above. Make sure the slashes are the same. A better way would be to type:

sudo rm -d "/System Folder"

Logging in as root is not recommended. Any user with administrator privileges can temporarily give themselves root privileges, while using the terminal, by using the sudo command. Anyone who should be logging in as root probably has the knowledge to do whatever task they would perform logged in as root in the terminal.

Edit: Added better method and warning.