BREAKING NEWS: Former exec sues Apple over dismissal

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A former top Apple Computer executive who left the company last year is suing the Mac maker for wrongful termination, CNet News.com is reporting.

"Tim Bucher, who headed Macintosh Hardware Engineering until last fall, filed suit last month in Santa Clara County Superior Court alleging that Apple terminated him without cause and failed to pay all due compensation, including restricted stock grants and a bonus," the publication says.

In the lawsuit, filed Feb. 4, Bucher claims to have suffered damages including the loss of income as well as emotional distress. He is suing for lost compensation, as well as punitive damages and other penalties. A case management conference is scheduled for May 31, 2005.

Bucher was hired by Apple in March 2003 to assume the roll of vice president of Macintosh System Development. In May of 2004 Bucher was promoted to senior vice president of Macintosh Hardware Engineering, replacing Jon Rubinstein, who moved on to oversee the company's newly created iPod division.

According to a copy of the lawsuit obtained by CNet News.com, Bucher alleges that on Nov. 10, Apple Executive Vice President Tim Cook told him to go home, saying only that "a change is coming." The same day, Bucher says that Apple CEO Steve Jobs told him, "You're not a failure. Even God couldn't have done both of the jobs I pushed you to do."

Two days later, Bucher said that Jobs told him that people sometimes thought of him as a "manic-depressive." In the same conversation Jobs reportedly told Bucher "I'm not sure what I am going to do, but I think I am going to have to ask you to leave the company."

After departing in December, sources told AppleInsider that Bucher was replaced by Peter Mehring, former founder of Umax Corporation. The reasons behind Bucher's departure were never made public, until now.

The full story is available at CNet News.com.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    And I always thought of Apple as a good employer...
  • Reply 2 of 24
    deepkiddeepkid Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

And I always thought of Apple as a good employer...

There's more than one side to a story, so don't jump.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    There where there's smoke, there's fire.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Apple, like ANY company, isnt perfect.

Shit happens people. Even in the best places.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

There were there's smoke, there's fire.

Where there is smoke, there is fire.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Or in Yoda-speak

Where smoke there is, fire there is.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    thevilthevil Posts: 7member
    So why was he fired? Well, he didn't do his job apparently, but ...

"Even God couldn't have done both of the jobs I pushed you to do."

Both jobs?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Perhaps he was fired because people who needed to work with him couldn't because he was nuts.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Did he have anything to do with the iMac delay? Perhaps by not knowing what was going on and squashing the G4 line too early, etc?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

I was translating a Turkish saying, so it came out kinda... different. But yes, 'Where there is smoke, there is fire'. We both said the same thing.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    i know it's pretty much illegal for a company to fire someone because of a disability, but if the job requires the person to not be affected by depression, then i guess apple couldn't have him work for them. i mean if you think about it, being manic-depressive (horrible spelling probably) could really screw things up being a VP. apple needed someone who wouldnt do a poor job because of their mood.

but they probably should have given him the benefits that someone would deserve. i mean a person who hurt their back would recieve compensation for their disability after they were let go. the same has to go for depression, cause it's considered a disability or something.

although, you know either way the guy is still rich and he doesn't really need any more money.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Remember, a wise man never tries to warm himself in front of a painting of a fire.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    i'm sure we'll learn more when he writes his tell all book.

I wonder what two things he failed to do as head of mac hardware. I wonder...
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Well, clearly he's responsible for not getting the Powerbook G5 out last Tuesday, that was the job he didn't do.

But he did get me my Mac Mini, and it rocks. Good job, man!
  • Reply 16 of 24
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    California is an at-will employment state.

Unless this guy is a protected class, he is going to have a hell of a time seeing a dime.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ClimbingTheLog

Well, clearly he's responsible for not getting the Powerbook G5 out last Tuesday, that was the job he didn't do.

But he did get me my Mac Mini, and it rocks. Good job, man!

Isn't that more IBMs fault than anything
  • Reply 18 of 24
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

Unless this guy is a protected class, he is going to have a hell of a time seeing a dime.

I thought all the ( executives are protected class) I had to laugh, the guy in his law suite mention he had a couple of raises in 2 years I wonder how many Apple employees ( working class ) got a couple of raises in two years. I would wager none. The rich executive class seem to allways do well dont they????executive compensation has gone through the roof while Joe workers gets screwed.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by akhomerun

i know it's pretty much illegal for a company to fire someone because of a disability, but if the job requires the person to not be affected by depression, then i guess apple couldn't have him work for them. i mean if you think about it, being manic-depressive (horrible spelling probably) could really screw things up being a VP. apple needed someone who wouldnt do a poor job because of their mood.

but they probably should have given him the benefits that someone would deserve. i mean a person who hurt their back would recieve compensation for their disability after they were let go. the same has to go for depression, cause it's considered a disability or something.

although, you know either way the guy is still rich and he doesn't really need any more money.

manic depression (these days its called "Bipolar disorder") isn't really depression in the typical sense. It tends to be categorized by extreme highs and extreme lows (like running around being the energetic life of a party, then attempting suicide or something). also, the steve only said that people were calling him manic; not that the guy actually was diagnosed, and didn't mention if he was seeking treatment.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

At the same time there are Federal laws which prevent discrimination against those with disabilities. Yes, mental disorders are considered to be a disability by the government. As such, assuming this former exec gets a decent lawyer I would imagine they WILL have an easy time getting a nice settlement out of Apple.

If this guy were "nuts" he never would have gotten the job to begin with. Apple doesn't hand out upper exec positions to anyone off the street.

Some of History's greatest mind suffered from what we call Bi-Polar disorder. Head over to Amazon.com and do a quick search, you may be surprised. Also of note, for those of us who have read extensively about the History of Apple Computer, one has to wonder what type of mental disorder Mr Jobs "suffers" from.

Food for thought i suppose.

Cheers!