1 Song 2 Albums

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok I have many places where this comes into play. How can I make it so if I have one song that appears on two albums, and in the interest of space I would like the actual song to only be on the ipod once but I would like it to be under both albums because when I listen to my iPod I always listen in shuffle mode or I play the entire album. But one song that this happens on is a 26 minute phish song that I have on 2 cds. and 26 minutes is a good deal of space.

Is there a way to do this

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Hmmm... not sure if I follow, but you want to have one song, as in 1 mp3/whatever, in 2 separate albums on your iPod?

As far as I know, you can't, because when you go into album 1, and you click on the song to play it, the iPod needs to 'call' the song from within that specific album, and if your song is in album 2 and you want to play it in album 1, it can't be 'called'.

It is of course, as far as I know, impossible to add just a symbolic link to your song in your iPod and then 'call' that song from another album, by using iTunes.

But hey... I never tried it, so I may be wrong, in which case,
  • Reply 2 of 10
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    well thanks for response. i just tried to make an alias of the song and put it into the new album, but it didnt work like you said.

i really would like to do this though because i only have 1/2 gb left on my 9.2 gb iPod, and i still have more cds to put on it. hopefully its not impossible. too bad you cant put for my oar CD "Souls Aflame + Any Time Now" to have it be in both but not create a new album called that.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    hmm i did some experimenting and i remembered that i got an album a while back that had two artists on it. in itunes, there is one file, and the album name is exactly "Split: Matchbook Romance / Motion City Soundtrack - EP"

on my ipod, the album shows up under both artist names and the file is only on there once. so i guess for whatever song you have, type "Split: Album 1 / Album 2" in the album box and see if that works.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

That would be awesome. Anyone check this?

I tried this with a Linkin Park track and it didn't work...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

I tried this with a Linkin Park track and it didn't work...

ya it might only work if you have 1 album for 2 artists. not 1 song for 2 albums. \ it was worth a shot.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    That would have been great. Maybe in the next iTunes update they will allow for things like this.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

That would have been great. Maybe in the next iTunes update they will allow for things like this.

If they did, which I think they should do, it should be like the Aliasing feature of Finder. Be able to change each one's details separately, ie Album, track no, album artwork, but only have one actual copy of the song.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    yes i agree. is there anyway to suggest it? or do we just have to hope? it probably wouldnt b that hard for them to program
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

yes i agree. is there anyway to suggest it? or do we just have to hope? it probably wouldnt b that hard for them to program

Here is the link to the iTunes feedback site:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html