My prayers have been answered a reliable way to synch music libraries

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi all,

I just came across this little app which will synch itunes music libraries across multiple computers. It does what advertised and best of all it is free. I donated to this guy.

sweet!

ipodandimac- This one works!!

http://homepage.mac.com/oligrob/sync...yncOtunes.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i'll try it out later today when i have some free time. here's hoping!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    it'd be cooler if it allowed computers to import and export from itunes over the network and share a single iTunes library

That way I could rip CDs on multiple computers at once and not have to manually transfer them.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Help me, I'm trying to figure out what this does that I can't already do on my home network.

I want to be able to have my shuffle pick tunes of of all my computers without actually copying the files to the computer that I'm using to charge the shuffle.

I don't really want my iBook getting any fatter with music. but the way I understand it is that it's just going to copy the files to the computer, which I do manually now.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

Help me, I'm trying to figure out what this does that I can't already do on my home network.

I want to be able to have my shuffle pick tunes of of all my computers without actually copying the files to the computer that I'm using to charge the shuffle.

I don't really want my iBook getting any fatter with music. but the way I understand it is that it's just going to copy the files to the computer, which I do manually now.

The beauty of this is in the comparison. It compares any two libraries and then copies the files and only those files to the other computer.

Simplicity itself. I wished for this feature in itunes.

Nothing more Nothing less. perfect little app. and free.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You know, this gives me an idea...

I've been using rsync to merge song libraries for a couple of years now, but the final import into iTunes had to be done manually. Well duh, I can use a simple shell script to tell me what files in the iTunes library changed since the back up started, then an AppleScript to plop those into iTunes with an import. Sweet. Thanks!

(The tool pointed to above requires network sharing of the libraries to do its magic. rsync just needs a net connection.)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

Could you use symbolic links or iTunes rendezvous sharing to do this? I don't know if it's possible, just throwing out the idea.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

You know, this gives me an idea...

I've been using rsync to merge song libraries for a couple of years now, but the final import into iTunes had to be done manually. Well duh, I can use a simple shell script to tell me what files in the iTunes library changed since the back up started, then an AppleScript to plop those into iTunes with an import. Sweet. Thanks!

Just so you know ahead of time, the iTunes AppleScript API has some maddening deficiencies. There is no scriptable equivalent to the import/export items in the File menu, for example. If you wanted to sync two copies of iTunes, not just in terms of which songs each iTunes knows about, but so that they share the same playlists with the songs in the same play order, you'll need a very hairy bit of AppleScript to accomplish the trick.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh no, what I was going to do was simply keep a list of file references, then make a folder of them, and have iTunes open the *folder*. I *believe* that that should work. I'll have to test it.

But rsync seems like a much better approach, at least for me, since I already have it set up.

Edit: Or, I suppose I could just use this.