YASS Thread (safari)

zozo
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Also known as "Yet Another Safari Sucks" thread.

I've been pretty happy about Safari until recently. I love the bookmark sync and all the little bells and whistles, keychain, anti-popup plus the combination of Pith helmet, and so on.

But over the months it just seems this thing gets slower and slower. I've tried all the tricks of emptying cache and the freeware "hacks" to accelrate loading (or even to give the appearance that pages load faster), and then finally, I re-installed Firefox.

My main computer is a PBG4 1.33GHz with 1.25GB ram.

I then downloaded the latest (March 3rd when I downloaded) G4 7450 optimized build from http://homepage.mac.com/krmathis/ (there are nightly builds since the last 3-4 months)

Configure, download little app to export Safari bookmarks to Firefox ( http://homepage.mac.com/simx/ ) and make the widgets (radio buttons, submit buttons, etc) nice ( http://homepage.mac.com/amake/software/firefoxy.html )

Then of course, get a couple great Extensions from the Firefox website (Adblocker of course, plus a few other bells n whistles).

To make a long thing short: After years of use of Safari and about 8 months on this Mac, Firefox SCREAMS in comparison. These very AI forums load in an instant and many sites that sometimes are glitchy with Safri, just work.

There is the issue of no more Bookmark sync with my .Mac account (or if there is, please let me know) but aside from that, I'm a very very happy camper.

To wrap it up, I plan to keep Firefox as my default browser until Safari 2.0 is actually out. And then, there is still to see how 2.0 is.

Just the fact that Firefox doesn't hog 100% processor when there are more than 2 animated gifs makes Firefox worthwhile.

I even tried Safari on a dual G5 2.5GHz and when I did a reply here on AI where there are all the little Animated Smilies (that notoriously bog down any Mac), in MenuMeters I saw that BOTH PROCESSORS were at 45% load (each) just to render 7 gif smilies. Thats just... just I don't know. Words escape me.

Thanks for bearing with this rant... just needed to steam.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I don't know why Apple kinda abandoned Safari. Sure Safari 2.0 will have RSS, but the remaining new features are available now in other browsers. Apparently, Apple is keeping Safari as a simple web browser.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    It abandoned it mainly because Firefox is currently challenging IE big time, and creating another (viable) alternative would be just fragmenting this new browser 'war'. In my opinion it's good. However, I don't think that Apple should not update Safari with performance fixes and whatnot. Those things will not steal the thunder from Firefox, but they will help users of Safari have a more enjoyable browsing experience. For example the issue of gif's.

• Reply 3 of 6
    I am just Retarded

Macaddict16
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    ZO-

I think i agree 100%. today is my first day trying mainly using firefox. So far so good. Some things i need to re adjust to but i think it is better for now.

I am also going to try camino.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Is there a keyboard combo to switch between tabs in FireFox? I like Safari's --Command Shift Arrow key and I can't find anything like it in FireFox.

Thanks,

Macaddict16
  • Reply 6 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The way Find works in FireFox is sweet. And it kind of mirrors the OS X "Find" in that when you type s, it finds something with s, st, and then finds something with st, then sta, and finds that. Couldn't Apple integrate the OS X find in to Safari? That's my new favorite thing in FireFox. Its speed is definitely another thing that impresses me.