Brit to head Sony!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Didn't where to post this but the NYT and the London Times Business are saying Sir Howard Stringer is to take over at Sony with Idei to retire a year early. Stringer did the Bertlesmann and MGM deals while head of Sony US.

This is quite incredible for a Japanese company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    hooray for future hardware!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    So much for other guy being on stage with Steve.. ahh rumours
  • Reply 3 of 11
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Moving to GD...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Interesting!

Bet there will be an email from corporate when I get in tomorrow.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Welsh-American, apparently, does not speak japanese...

this actually fuels the rumors even more. this guy heading sony has made his mark through sony entertainment in the usa

they say he's a great mediator between hollywood bigwigs, japanese managers, and engineers

light bulbs going off in your heads?

this guy would have to be majorly dumb not to go have a few beers with steve jobs as soon as bloody possible... Sony+Apple working on the music, video and film content, tech gadgets, computer stuff, rap-battle-style product design sessions.... damn i am dreaming BIG and in HEAVEN right now....

whooo...... okay deep breaths now...... ah thats beeterrrrrrrrrr
  • Reply 6 of 11
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Moving to GD...

Moving to IL ...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Moving to IL ...

Moving too fast....
  • Reply 8 of 11
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    'Boyo' Stringer made huge hints at his press conference about greater co-operation and more joint-ventures with other companies to cut R&D costs and not get left behind again. Apple was like the elephant in the room that everyone was too polite to mention. Its like the 90's and Microsoft... interesting times.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I don't expect any big Sony/Apple partnership. We'll see what happens though - it is a huge move to make such a big change.

The electronics division is what really needs help.

The DVD division, where I work, has really been doing well mainly because Sony Pictures has been number one two of the last three years.

And now that we've bought MGM, we'll have the largest catalog in Hollywood.

I'm diggin' the prospect of being a longtime Sony employee.

It's going to be very interesting to see what Stringer-san has planned.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    You guys realize that the Sony chap who walked on stage at MWSF was canned as part of this restructuring too, right?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

You guys realize that the Sony chap who walked on stage at MWSF was canned as part of this restructuring too, right?

*sigh* yeah, such is the modern global business life... one day steve jobs is kissing your ass in san francisco, the next, your buying some schoolgirl panties from some vending machine in downtown tokyo...