DVD Player question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This isnt about computers, but I just purchased my first DVD Player and I have some questions.

I am used to being able to do frame by frame pause, even backwards and forwards with my SONY VCRs, but I see no way to do this with the DVD, it only does slo-mo in forward and will allow me to pause, but not frame by frame.

Does anyone know of a DVD Player with this frame by frame pause feature, especially forward and backwards?

Also, with a tape I can look at the counter and know where I left off. Even if I turn off the VCR with the tape still in it, when i turn the VCR back on its always at that spot. With the DVD Player it seems that it always goes back to the beginning.

These 2 issues are a problem for me since I use both frequently. The remote that came with the DVD Player (itsd actually a DVD/VHS Combo) is pretty basic. The VCR pretty much sucks also, although the DVDs play back nicely, especially considering I have it hooked up to an older TV (and through my SONY VCR) with composite inputs only, not even Super VHS or Component.

Is there a better stand alone DVD Player out there with all those features? Any brand recommendations?

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    >I am used to being able to do frame by frame pause, even backwards and forwards with my SONY VCRs, but I see no way to do this with the DVD, it only does slo-mo in forward and will allow me to pause, but not frame by frame.

Does anyone know of a DVD Player with this frame by frame pause feature, especially forward and backwards?<

Not one reply? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?

Any brand recommendations?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    video LAN client?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The problem with DVD Players is that they record in MPEG2 format so you really aren't dealing with individual frames but rather a series of frames with "intraframe" compression applied. This means the player has to approximate where you want to be and sometime you just can't get to that perfect still shot.

As for remembering the spot. It depends on the DVD Player. My Onkyo has a "resume" feature that works like a charm. Check your manual to see if you have resume as well. It is very handy.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I don't know about saving the place when it's paused but frame advance really should be a feature on any decent DVD player.

Mine can do the pause/frame stuff and it has a counter. It's a Samsung something-or-other. $80 a year and a half ago.

As far as not remembering where you were when you turn it off... don't turn it off. Just turn your TV off.

Did you get this thing free with a happy meal?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I also have a question about DVD player.

Can I take snapshots during a movie? Seems I can't.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I would like to have reverse freeze frame also. I basically want it to act like my SONY VCR thats 15 years old. It was a high end unit with flying erase head, etc.

The Samsung Combo unit I bought is being returned for a stand-alone DVD Player, hopefully with those features.

Personally, I was perfectly happy with VCRs but soon I wont be able to rent videos anymore.

So, I at least want it to have the features I like in my VCR.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony and Philips all have players that have the features you're after. Virtually all players have a memory and unless you press stop twice it'll restart the disc from where you left off.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Yup, looks like at least one player definitely has forward and reverse freeze frame-the SONY DVP-NS 575P. Its only $90 at Best Buy.

I believe the Philips DVP642 has it also so I emailed them to make sure.

Possibly also the Panasonic S-27.

So, back goes the Samsung and all I have to do is decide between the above and I know for sure the SONY is a choice.

Thanks guys