Apple.com prepares for Mac OS X Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
At least a half dozen tipsters have written in over the past week to point out an abnormal occurrence on Apple's Mac OS X download Web site. Present in the far right sidebar under "Categories" appears three new options: Automator Actions, Dashboard Widgets, and Spotlight Plugins. All three link to non-existent pages, but will soon act as a repository for Apple-approved Tiger add-ons and scripts. AppleInsider believes that Tiger is now fast approaching completion, and will likely reach Gold Master status sometime in the next 60 days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    already gone...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Nice.

Looking forward to grabbing Spotlight and Automator plugins. I expect to see a vibrant community created by these new technologies.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    artseartse Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

already gone...

not gone...

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/
  • Reply 4 of 17
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Gold Master is english for "ready to ship"?

Eric
  • Reply 5 of 17
    vtrainvtrain Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Gold Master is english for "ready to ship"?

Eric

It means the software is finished and ready to duplicate. It still takes time after Tiger goes GM for Apple to produce enough to be ready to ship, and time for lead-up marketing, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    i hope they take 120.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    I'm so stoked about this! This is the most exciting thing since.........

............Panther.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

i hope they take 120.

What do you mean by that???
  • Reply 9 of 17
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

What do you mean by that???

I think he means they take 4 months to get prepared and get it right the first time (no big bugs).

Eric
  • Reply 10 of 17
    "no big bugs"

It is an Operating System release ... there will ALWAYS be a few big bugs that slip through. Due to the sheer size of a modern OS it would be impossible to catch everything before the first wide release. Way too many variables in the real world to test for them all while in development.

This is why the "wise" ones always say to sit out the very first release of any software.

To which I always say, where's the fun in being safe! Sometimes it is worth the risk of falling off to stay on the cutting edge!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    owenowen Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

already gone...

A search on the OS X Downloads page for dashboard or spotlight still brings up results based on the category description even if the resulting pages have no reference.

Quote:

Apple - Downloads - Productivity Tools

... Categories. Apple; Audio; Automator Actions; Business & Finance; Dashboard Widgets; Development Tools; Drivers; Email & Chat; Games; Home & Learning; Icons, Screensavers ...

Personally I'm hoping for late March, 10.0 was released on 21st March - maybe Master Jobs would like to show what Apple can do in four years vs Microsoft and XP... However I suspect it'll be nearer June to ensure they don't get bitten by unforseen bugs.

PS What do the/you Americans do for Easter? In the UK Friday and Monday are public holidays, but I guess in the US there is no official holiday?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    zac4maczac4mac Posts: 37member
    Dunno about "official" but I've always gotten at least Good Friday off, sometimes Monday too.

When is NAB? Isn't that soon, and if so, wouldn't it make sense to release Tiger and QT7 then?

Z
  • Reply 13 of 17
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zac4mac

Dunno about "official" but I've always gotten at least Good Friday off, sometimes Monday too.

When is NAB? Isn't that soon, and if so, wouldn't it make sense to release Tiger and QT7 then?

Z

NAB is in mid April.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Im surprised the web monkeys at apple havent learned from past experience.

They can certainly afford an extra computer to simulate live web environment.. why the hell do they keep "accidentally" posting stuff on the live site when its not supposed to?

Unless as I said it was "accidental"... quote qoutes...
  • Reply 15 of 17
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Im surprised the web monkeys at apple havent learned from past experience.

They can certainly afford an extra computer to simulate live web environment.. why the hell do they keep "accidentally" posting stuff on the live site when its not supposed to?

Unless as I said it was "accidental"... quote qoutes...

I'm sure they do have a batch of production/staging servers, however even with that it can be easy to have someone accidentally move an entire directory over to the live server when someone else has placed files they were working on in that same directory. I've worked for many major websites and have seen it happen all the time.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zac4mac

Z

I can't imagine them releasing it at NAB. Its not exactly a Mac-centric conference. They'd be better off talking up the stuff that might interest the attendees, and showing off the likes of FinalCutPro 7 and the like.

And it won't be out the end of march. Apple almost always pre-announces the shipping date by at least a month.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    j@ffaj@ffa Posts: 56member
    If it is approaching Gold Master/Final Candidate stage, then Apple probably figures it's worth taking advantage of the fact that it's ahead of schedule and will probably freeze active development and concentrate on testing.

At least, that's what I'd do. Hehe