Resolve Disk Errors w/o Reformat

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just found a bad sector on my new HD and I'd like to deal with it without backing everything up, reformatting, and copying everything back over.

All the drive apps I looked at could detect the error but they couldn't fix it and recommended reformatting. Anyone got a nice OS X app that can do this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Did you try DiskWarrior? That has a great reputation among OS X disk utilities. TechTool Pro might be able to do something as well.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    DiskWarrior will rebuild your drive's directory structure , but I don't believe it can perform this type of maintenance. TechTool Deluxe detects an error but cannot fix it. (It won't give me a log containing the damaged files either though. Grrrr.) Apple's Disk Utility can fix the error, but by reformatting the drive.

I haven't tried TechTool Deluxe, which is one reason I'm asking. I know that old school disk utilities could do this, so I'd expect that there is some modern tool that'll do the job.

One known good solution is the backup and reformat, but I'd like to avoid it if I can. I'm lucky I have my old drive and I haven't exceeded its capacity!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Have you run Disk Repair?

Also try booting single user (boot and hold down s)

df and get the name of the root volume and run

fsck-hfs -y /dev/disk1s10 (/dev/disk1s10 being the result from the df)

This can fix bad blocks and sector inaccuricies (sp?).

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I haven't restarted yet, let alone from another volume, so I haven't actually tried using Apple's Disk Utility. All previous versions could not perform this kind of repair, but you never know. You what they say when you assume...

And fsck is brilliant. Not sure why I didn't think about command line tools. I'll try these soon and report my findings.

Still though, sounds like there are no GUI tools that can do this. Hmmm.