Creating A Bootable Norton Disk

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi guys, I have just had to buy Nortons Utilities for the second time due to the CD getting damaged. To stop this happening again I want to back this version up to CD, but I can't seem to make it bootable in Toast 6.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Cheers...Pete

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    My advice to you, which you will not like, is to throw that CD into the bin.

Norton Utilities for the Mac has been discontinued, as far as I know, due to its ability to destroy HD's instead of fixing them. A good place to look is the reviews on Amazon, or do a quick google search.

DiskWarrior and TechToolPro have a much more respected name at the moment.

If you can take it back, do so.

Though do not just take word, hopefully others will chime in to support me.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cab9cab9 Posts: 3member
    thanks for the advice...so you would reccomend them for defragging my disk?

Is there any good, trusted freeware that I can download that will do this..I'm living in a pretty backwards country at the moment (gibraltar) and it takes 5 weeks for anything to turn up via post.

cheers
  • Reply 3 of 7
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    Try BootCD at http://www.versiontracker.com it's meant for burning bootable cd's and works really well. Carefully follow the instructions, though.

Defragging isn't really necessary for OSX, but you could try repairing permissions with Disk Utility (in your Mac), clean all your caches systemwide with Cache Out X (shareware) or Panther Cache Cleaner (shareware) or even better: Onyx (also shareware) wich is an excellent OSX maintenance app.

For serious problems is Diskwarrior your best choice.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cab9cab9 Posts: 3member
    thanks, I'm pretty new to this OS x thing, have had OS 9 for years, and was always unsure about upgrading as I had a lot of work and lisenced software under OS 9. Disk Doctoring and rebuilding the desktop was always a pretty essential part of the upkeep. Now I got a nice new Powerbook, so I had to jump on the bandwagon!

I only ask as Disk Doctor says the fragmentation is servere. And with it being an 80 GB drive that's had plenty of files gone through it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Defrag is meant to be done by OSX automatically, though there is a size limit (from memory 20MB files are not done).

There have been many a debate (read arguments) about the need for defrag. I personally think there is no need, and have not done one in over two years on my PB. YMMV.

However when your HD turns to custard then you will need a utility that can repair the drive. This utility is NOT Norton.

Defrag + Norton = Dead HD.

OK, the above equation is not always true, but the occurrence of these stories is too high for my liking, which is sad given that it used to be such a respected product. I used to like the animation where you would see Peter (?) tinkering away, fixing things for you!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silver

Try BootCD at http://www.versiontracker.com it's meant for burning bootable cd's and works really well. Carefully follow the instructions, though.

Defragging isn't really necessary for OSX, but you could try repairing permissions with Disk Utility (in your Mac), clean all your caches systemwide with Cache Out X (shareware) or Panther Cache Cleaner (shareware) or even better: Onyx (also shareware) wich is an excellent OSX maintenance app.

For serious problems is Diskwarrior your best choice.

OnyX is freeware.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

OnyX is freeware.

Even better ...