Ad discretion

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I know that someone has to pay the bills around here but c'mon. You guys know your audience is mostly mac users and therefore at least a good percentage of Safari users. Why do you then allow ads that you know for a fact are very safari-unfriendly and shoot user's CPU usage through the roof.

I am not trying to turn this into a safari discussion. Rather, why not use some discretion. If my input matters, i would rather click on either a non animated ad or a less flashy animated one. The "shoot the [insert object here]" ads re ridiculous.

Although my machine (1.0 ghz g4) is far from, powerful, MenuMeters is reading 100% CPU while writing this and the keyboard is very sluggish.

While i do plan on hanging in there, some people are going to start voting with their feet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I agree with you, man. I think most people who come here would agree, but you can't seriously think that they're going to moderate the banner ads.

I think they killed Tina, but the flashing ones? I don't think it'll happen.

Safari + Pith Helmet is the way.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    I have always belived that i could do my part to pay for the sites i visit by living with the ads but i am reallt temped to use that program. I feel bad becuase there are sites which are nice about thier add choice that i want to still have that income. I guess that is what happens when being considerate and [trying] to be helpful beocmes such a chore

P.S

100% CPU agian and still keyboard lag
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I am now running PithHelment and my CPU is 26% ( i do have iTunes playing). NICE. Sorry AI people.

Edit: I just decided in order to not feel guilty to turn it off except on sites with bad ads and stuff
  • Reply 4 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    One thing to keep in mind is that Safari has issues with animated gifs.

Often times animated smilies in the reply box will peg a Mac user's CPU.

IIRC, pithhelmet also disables animated gifs, which might be part of why things seem so sluggish.

Is it everywhere on the site, or only whe you're going to reply to a post?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    umm... the 100% is really just replying to a post but the rest is still high.

I do think that i found my best solution and moral mix. I have it installed jsut disables the animated gifs and the CPU is MUCH slower but i am still seeing ads (for better or worse)