XBOX 2 to use triple core PowerPC (G5?)

zozo
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
according to a few sites it seems that the specs of the next gen XBOX (XBOX2 or XBOX360) are the following:

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000480035064/ and

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/microso.../594331p1.html

Quote:

The Guts of the Next Box

CPU - Xenon's CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. Each core is capable of two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.

GPU - Xenon's GPU is a generation beyond the ATI X800. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0. Developers are currently working with an alpha 2 GPU. Beta GPU units are expected by May and the final GPU is slated for a summer release. The final GPU will be more powerful than anything on the market today; in game terms, it would handle a game like Half-Life 2 with ease.

System Memory - Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.

Optical Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Games will come on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The drive is slated to run at 12X.

Memory Units - Xenon will use 64 MB to 1,024 MB memory cards. 8 MB is reserved for system use, leaving a 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.

Hard Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon's hard drive is optional. 2 GB of the drive will be used as game cache. The final drive size is still being determined.

Camera - Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It's capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. It's unknown if the Xenon camera will allow for EyeToy-like gameplay. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.

Sound Chip - Xenon does not have an audio chip in the traditional sense. Decompression is handled by hardware, while the rest of the chores are handled by software. DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio. The former was deemed too inflexible.

We're hoping for dual core G5s... but could Jobs surprise us with a Dual Processor triple core G5 monster?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    They should really call it XBOX 180, because that's what they need to do to make that thing profitable.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    They could be triple-440 chips, or a Cell with 2 SPE's. Such chips shouldn't be horribly expensive. Remember, one of the goals of the redesign is to address the cost overrun, so it's not going to be the Cadillac of consoles.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    ZO, the triple core PPC for the XBOX isn't actually new news. It's pretty old, but taking into consideration Apple should have known about the design possibilities from IBM way before M$ they, and IBM have had ample time to think about the next generation PPC vs. multi core Intel, AMD, and other PPC devices like the XBOX.

AFAIC a multi cored PPC still looks like a more realistic prediction for the next generation of PowerMacs, and is way further along in development than the prototype CELL design which no one is actually making yet.

The multi core PPC's should be incredible processors none the less. Not to mention a far more reliable alternative than a cell because of it's been a proven design by IBM in the Power processor line for a few years now. They have far more trial, and error experience with the Multi cored designs, and they know what will work the best for Apples situation. I think they should add an on die memory controller like those @ss whipping Opterons my self, but that's just me.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

They should really call it XBOX 180, because that's what they need to do to make that thing profitable.

it's really sad that halo is the only reason people buy xbox's.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Cool gut, MS' Xbox unit reecently announced that it's in the black.

Not sure if because of revenues or because of console unit sales.

Its always been known that consoles initially are majorly loss making.... but then you make the money on software licenses (games).

Re the PowerPC in the Xbox, yes, we all 'heard' it was PowerPC and possibly multicore, but I just found it interesting that its been basically confirmed that its a triple core.

actually, would a single processor dual core by the same or similar to a dual processor config?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Cool gut, MS' Xbox unit reecently announced that it's in the black.

They went in the black for a quarter following the release of Halo 2 and its strong sales, not surprising given they own the company that makes the software too. They also announced the didn't expect that to last.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Well yeah, at the end of it's life cycle - it;s made a few million - after bleeding 5 or 6 billion in the last 3 years.

I realize the box itself isn't supposed to make money, but neither is the rest of the division.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

They went in the black for a quarter following the release of Halo 2 and its strong sales, not surprising given they own the company that makes the software too. They also announced the didn't expect that to last.

They flat out stated that the division would go right back to bleeding cash until 2007 in the last financial results.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

The multi core PPC's should be incredible processors none the less. Not to mention a far more reliable alternative than a cell because of it's been a proven design by IBM in the Power processor line for a few years now.[/i]

What exactly are you claiming is 'unreliable' about Cell chips?
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Re the PowerPC in the Xbox, yes, we all 'heard' it was PowerPC and possibly multicore, but I just found it interesting that its been basically confirmed that its a triple core.

?

I read a few months ago there would be 3 cores. That's not new. (to me anyway)
  • Reply 11 of 43
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    The business about the instructions per cycle and the cache might be a clue about the specific PowerPC processor. (Where's Programmer? He knows this stuff) My guess is that these are not 970-class processor cores.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    No they sound suspiciously like the PPE cores recently revealed in CELL.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    X2 will not have a triple core processor. It will simply have 3 single core CPUs. Thus it has 3 cores.

I wonder what Nintendo is cooking.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

X2 will not have a triple core processor. It will simply have 3 single core CPUs. Thus it has 3 cores.

It is actually far more plausible the MS would use a single triple core chip than a 3 chip processor solution. The major factor in console production costs is the number of components, not the complexity of the individual components. This chip will not be a triple-core 970 (that would be too complex, especially at the claimed 3 GHz), but using 3 of the PPE-type cores (2-way dispatch in-order design) can clearly clock high enough and is much smaller than the other possibilities. A triple core G3 or 440 is extremely unlikely given the clock rate claims.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

This chip will not be a triple-core 970 [...] but using 3 of the PPE-type cores (2-way dispatch in-order design) can clearly clock high enough

Obviously this is not Cell-architecture: the Cell alliance is not called STIMS

So if the Xbox2 processor is only made of PPE-dérivative (three of them, stripped-down in-order PPC cores) but without any SPE ; and since the great force of Cell lays in its multiple SPEs and not really in its PPE... it seems at this point that MS made a "mistake" to some extent, and that PS3 will smoke Xbox2? (I know we don't have much more information, it is just a quick assumption)
  • Reply 16 of 43
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

Obviously this is not Cell-architecture: the Cell alliance is not called STIMS

So if the Xbox2 processor is only made of PPE-dérivative (three of them, stripped-down in-order PPC cores) but without any SPE ; and since the great force of Cell lays in its multiple SPEs and not really in its PPE... it seems at this point that MS made a "mistake" to some extent, and that PS3 will smoke Xbox2? (I know we don't have much more information, it is just a quick assumption)

That would depend on whether the software in question can effectively use the SPEs. A triple core PPC design is a much more standard symmetric shared memory model, similar to machines that have been around for ages. The Cell isn't a new concept, but it will be the first mass market use of these ideas, and thus the first time that mass market software developers will have to deal with it. If they do well the Cell will kick XBox butt, otherwise it will look like 1 Power core @ 4 GHz vs. 3 Power cores @ 3 GHz.

We're taking bets now.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

That would depend on whether the software in question can effectively use the SPEs. A triple core PPC design is a much more standard symmetric shared memory model, similar to machines that have been around for ages. The Cell isn't a new concept, but it will be the first mass market use of these ideas, and thus the first time that mass market software developers will have to deal with it. If they do well the Cell will kick XBox butt, otherwise it will look like 1 Power core @ 4 GHz vs. 3 Power cores @ 3 GHz.

We're taking bets now.

Huh?

Cell is what every PS2 engineer has dreamed of getting their hands on for the past five years and where most of us knew Sony was heading. Large numbers of autonomous and fleshed out VUs. There is nothing to deal with.

We are ready.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

otherwise it will look like 1 Power core @ 4 GHz vs. 3 Power cores @ 3 GHz.

Yes, but the PS3 is supposed to have 4 Cells... at 4 ~ 4.6 Ghz each, with 32 SPEs...

If Xbox2 has the same type of PPC core, I dont' see 3 PPEs only @ 3 GHz each compete with that!
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

Yes, but the PS3 is supposed to have 4 Cells... at 4 ~ 4.6 Ghz each, with 32 SPEs...

If Xbox2 has the same type of PPC core, I dont' see 3 PPEs only @ 3 GHz each compete with that!

Apparently you've never heard of the MHz myth.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Apparently you've never heard of the MHz myth.

Please... I know the MHz myth. I was saying that IF they were the same PPE-type, stripped-down in-order PPC cores. Not 970-type compared to a PPE-type, which are very different in complexity.