XServe Sighting at ....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I don't think I am violating my NDA by saying I saw an XServe box in the hall today at a building for a VERY LARGE chip producer. After all, reporting seeing a box isn't anything. Someone could have brought the box in to pack their stuff from being laid off. (He he).

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: muah ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    [quote]Originally posted by muah:

<strong>I don't think I am violating my NDA by saying I saw an XServe box in the hall today at a building for a VERY LARGE chip producer. After all, reporting seeing a box isn't anything. Someone could have brought the box in to pack their stuff from being laid off. (He he).

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: muah ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

* Cough * IBM? * Sniffle *
  • Reply 2 of 29
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    *Cough* No. Try agian. */cough*
  • Reply 3 of 29
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Hello Moto?

Screed
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Hello nono. Try agian. BTW, I guess I should make it clear that it was only the cardboard that I saw.

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: muah ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 29
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member

<strong>*Cough* No. Try agian. */cough*</strong><hr></blockquote>

* Sniff * AMD? * Cough *
  • Reply 6 of 29
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Intel's the biggest.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    I agree, intel is the biggest.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Sun Microsystems?
  • Reply 9 of 29

<strong>I agree, intel is the biggest.</strong><hr></blockquote>

so muah, is that you breaking out into fits of coughs when intel are mentioned or are you just agreeing that they are a big company?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by lungaretta:

<strong>

so muah, is that you breaking out into fits of coughs when intel are mentioned or are you just agreeing that they are a big company?</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is where he saw it...INTEL!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I can neither confirm nor deny those charges.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Maybe they just needed a server with a good price/performance ratio
  • Reply 13 of 29
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Come on, people, it's Xserve, the 's' is not capitalized.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    nor does that sighting mean anything more, than that someone wanted an Xserve, maybe simply be because Macs are faster for Java apps in web content, much faster even than anything else.

Or they might be interested in the industrial design, or the mobo, or whatever.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Was it Sun?

I know it may be Sun, because I spoke in person to an Apple Senior Engineer last Friday for a couple hours, and he had A LOT to say about Sun's reaction to not only Mac OS X, the XServe, and Java (duh), but they also LOVE the new PowerBooks. Most people don't know this, but Sun has never had an OS that ran on portable (laptop) hardware. The Sun sales team actually uses Dell laptops with Windows 2K. The Sun guys flip-out on even the more simple, subtle things from Apple, like the transparent Terminal, etc.

My guess is Sun. Gimee a prize! :0)
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Don't forget that Jobs is very good friends with Scott McNealy (sp?) at Sun, there is a version of FreeBSD that runs on Suns, oh and Pixar are big Sun users, could it be them?
  • Reply 17 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>Was it Sun?

I know it may be Sun, because I spoke in person to an Apple Senior Engineer last Friday for a couple hours, and he had A LOT to say about Sun's reaction to not only Mac OS X, the XServe, and Java (duh), but they also LOVE the new PowerBooks. Most people don't know this, but Sun has never had an OS that ran on portable (laptop) hardware. The Sun sales team actually uses Dell laptops with Windows 2K. The Sun guys flip-out on even the more simple, subtle things from Apple, like the transparent Terminal, etc.

My guess is Sun. Gimee a prize! :0)</strong><hr></blockquote>

sun manufactured perhaps but solaris on laptops do

<a href="http://www.creativec.com/solaris_laptop.htm"; target="_blank">exist</a> incorporating SUN UltraSPARC-IIi® processors
  • Reply 18 of 29
    No, it's not sun. And I doubt the server is being used to do anything based on the area I saw the cardboard. I think it is being used in a home products area, so I have no idea what it is doing there.

| read |

There are places I have said no to, and a place that I haven't said no to.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Acually, you haven't said "no" to two places: AMD & Intel. AMD seems to have been ignored.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Sorry, not AMD. I really didn't intend this thread to be a guessing game as to who has the thing.

Any speculation on what it would be used for in a home products area???