PowerBook Pitting/Corrosion???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi. i just bought a new PowerBook 15 inch 1.67 Ghz a few weeks ago and was wondering if there has been any sign of pitting or corroding in the new machines. i was also curious to see if anyone knows of any very good protective layers to cover the palm rests. so far i havent seen anything on my machine and i use it moderately (trying not to touch the palmrests now that im paranoid because of those black dots). i obviously want to use my PowerBook comfortably so i hope someone has some good advice. sry if theres a thread like this on here or if anyone is mad at apple because of this issue. there have been alot of pitting cases over at apple discussions, but it seems the problem occurs in older models, specifically in 1.25 and 1.33 Ghz models

if it helps, i already use iKlear wipes on my PowerBook and wipe it down with a damp cloth on occassion.

any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Just keep doing what you're doing. The black dots are the result of long-term contact with skin sweat. Keep it relatively clean, and you won't have the problem.

FWIW, my PB is about 18 months old, and I'm just now starting to see little tiny dots on the left palmrest. I don't particularly keep it wiped down, either. There must be some really sweaty people out there, is my only conclusion.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Just keep doing what you're doing. The black dots are the result of long-term contact with skin sweat. Keep it relatively clean, and you won't have the problem.

FWIW, my PB is about 18 months old, and I'm just now starting to see little tiny dots on the left palmrest. I don't particularly keep it wiped down, either. There must be some really sweaty people out there, is my only conclusion.

thanx alot...ill make sure to be very careful and try not to sweat alot...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I use mine with exteranl display, keyboard, and mouse a lot, so I'm hoping that keeps mine looking nice. Furthermore, when I do use the Powerbook directly, I wipe the keyboard and rests afterwards. haha.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nothing on my rests after 1 1/2 years. Though I do periodically wipe down all my computers with rubbing alcohol. Of course, you want to stay away from the trackpads or displays.

Wiping down my computers/peripherals became a regular after I read that article about how most computer keyboards/mice are dirtier than bathroom toilets..
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Wiping down my computers/peripherals became a regular after I read that article about how most computer keyboards/mice are dirtier than bathroom toilets..

Yes, I remember that too. However, I wonder if a *one user* keyboard is that dirty?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I think the article said it depends on if you eat by your computer or not, obviously it's cleaner not to eat by the computer.