NFL Offseason: 2005 edition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apparently the NFL isn't happy with Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams' desire to tackle people.

Quote:

Also under discussion this week is the specific "horse collar" tackle by Cowboys safety Roy Williams that broke the leg of Eagles receiver Terrell Owens. Williams injured four players with that specific technique, a committee member said Tuesday, and those incidents were still being debated by the committee.

This "horse collar" tackle is essentially grabbing a player in front of you by the top of their shoulder pads and pulling them down. Roy Williams seems to do this more than other players.

Here's him doing it to David Carr of the Houston Texans:

The danger in the tackle is that cleats might get stuck while the defender is being pulled backwards resulting in a leg break (this is what happened to Terrell Owens).

Williams plays mean and aims to hurt you, yes, but how on earth can you make it against the rules to pull someone down by a part of their uniform?

They are just trying to sabotage my Cowboys!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    honestly, i am getting sick of them trying to curtail the defenses. i know these guys are professionals, but how the hell are you supposed to ask someone going at full speed to be mindful of where they grab a guy? hitting a defenseless, nigh motionless person, or someone without a ball are fairly easy calls, but come on. during a play, you have to think "gosh, if i tackle this guy by the collar -- not a hit, just a grab -- his feet might catch in the turf and he might break an ankle, so i better... ah, hell, we're already in the endzone now. never mind."

you have the ball, you are a marked man. got a problem with that? take a knee... as fast as you can. the whole slide thing should be extended to everyone on offense, and of course, the drawback to such a thing is a lack of yards-after-catch and a rolling clock, but that's the ball-carrier's choice. but guys in the huddle and the fans can grouse all they want, but THAT should be the player's decision for their own safety, and should not be questioned.

well, that's just my idea. i'm sure no one agrees, though.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Exactly. If you don't want to get hurt by someone trying to stop your forward momentum stop moving forward.

I can see facemask and head rules, those are direct acts of violence that can actually be life-threatening and that are also rarely necessary.

But not being able to grab a collar because some bizarre turn of events might lead to a broken leg? That's insane.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    <----Votes to make Cuck Bednarik head of the rules committee!