Apple releases Pages 1.0.1, Keynote 2.0.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple today released updates to its Keynote presentation software and Pages word processor. According to Apple, the 21.8 MB Keynote 2.0.1 update addresses "isolated issues that may have affected reliability for some customers." Meanwhile, a 28.3 MB Pages 1.0.1 patch aims to correct "isolated issues that may have affected reliability for some customers and resolves an issue related to deleting complete pages." Both updates are currently available through the Mac OS X Software Update mechanism, but were not yet available from the the company's software download site at the time this blurb was published.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    vocarovocaro Posts: 25member
    As of 4:54pm PST, my Software Update does not show either of these updates, even though I have both programs installed. Did AppleInsider jump the gun on this one?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    No I have installed the updates and they fixed the fact you couldn't delete an entire page in Pages.

Thankyou apple for fixing that! I dont know how they left it out.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Wow, those are big updates for "isolated" issues. I installed them, but I haven't really had that many issues with either program. I wonder what all changed.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

No I have installed the updates and they fixed the fact you couldn't delete an entire page in Pages.

Thankyou apple for fixing that! I dont know how they left it out.

They didn't "leave it out". You don't delete entire pages in Word, do you? You delete the content. The problem was that by being so similar to Keynote, which *does* permit slides to be deleted, and by explicitly adding a "new page" option as opposed to creating new pages when the content overflowed from the previous page, they confused users.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Except that now it's added. I'm not entirely sure it was left out on purpose. In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't Word. It's a strange combo of word preocessor and layout app. I like it.

Caveats: to delete a page, you must have manually inserted it. If you insert a page, then keep typing past the end, and make, say, three pages of text, then try and delete the middle one, it won't work. It will want to delete all three. It doesn't really delete *pages*, but *sections*, as far as I can tell. When you insert a page, it creates breaks on either end, and the Delete Page(s) function uses those as its guidelines.

All it needs is a visual section/page picker. I think that would help clarify to people what it's doing, as well as make a nice addition. Perhaps a sidebar or drawer?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Caveats: to delete a page, you must have manually inserted it. If you insert a page, then keep typing past the end, and make, say, three pages of text, then try and delete the middle one, it won't work. It will want to delete all three. It doesn't really delete *pages*, but *sections*, as far as I can tell. When you insert a page, it creates breaks on either end, and the Delete Page(s) function uses those as its guidelines.

All it needs is a visual section/page picker. I think that would help clarify to people what it's doing, as well as make a nice addition. Perhaps a sidebar or drawer?

In other words, it's a half-baked solution. Perhaps Pages 1.0.2? Indeed, a sidebar/drawer would be a much better way to handle this. Like Keynote does!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    A sidebar would be nice, but if you're inserting pages, it acts exactly like you'd expect. If you're not inserting pages, then why would you expect to be able to delete them? Actually, I just noticed that the sheet to confirm that you want to delete the page(s) says "The section containing this page will be deleted." Nice explanation, if short.

Eh, a subtle point, and not one I'm sure that really matters. Nice to see it in there.

Now the important thing is... where's trumptman?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

A sidebar would be nice, but if you're inserting pages, it acts exactly like you'd expect. If you're not inserting pages, then why would you expect to be able to delete them? Actually, I just noticed that the sheet to confirm that you want to delete the page(s) says "The section containing this page will be deleted." Nice explanation, if short.

Eh, a subtle point, and not one I'm sure that really matters. Nice to see it in there.

Now the important thing is... where's trumptman?

Not as amusing as the sheet proclaiming that all pages will be deleted in a document where nothing was inserted...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Inserting and deleting pages for a layout program is a pretty basic function. If they want this to be used for that, even in a simple form, then they should provide for that feature.

My daughter has been using Pages for all of her school writing, and the lack of a insert/delete feature is a real pain, she says.

I'm so used to it on my layout programs that when I installed it on my machine in order to learn it, I found it hard to get used to.

But it seems that deleting the contents of a page does essentially the same thing. Just be careful how you do it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by vocaro

As of 4:54pm PST, my Software Update does not show either of these updates, even though I have both programs installed. Did AppleInsider jump the gun on this one?

I figured out what the problem was. I had moved Pages and Keynote out of the original iWork folder. Creating a new iWork folder and moving the apps there allowed Software Update to see them.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

I figured out what the problem was. I had moved Pages and Keynote out of the original iWork folder. Creating a new iWork folder and moving the apps there allowed Software Update to see them.

When is Apple going to start allowing people to move their applications? This is one thing that really irritates me about OS X. I would like to be able to organize my applications so in the Applications folder and I would like to be able to put some of my applications on an external drive. All my third party apps are fine with this but the Apple apps keep complaining.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

When is Apple going to start allowing people to move their applications? This is one thing that really irritates me about OS X. I would like to be able to organize my applications so in the Applications folder and I would like to be able to put some of my applications on an external drive. All my third party apps are fine with this but the Apple apps keep complaining.

File a bug report like I did. If enough people complain maybe they will do something about it.

https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/...s/RadarWeb.woa
  • Reply 13 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Wow, those are big updates for "isolated" issues. I installed them, but I haven't really had that many issues with either program. I wonder what all changed.

They don't send out "patches", they send out an entire updated application. It may only be certain components of the entire package, though.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    So, um, has Pages always been able to *import* HTML, and I just missed it before, or is this new?

It's amazing what one finds when poking around in the guts of an app... like, why the heck is that one framework named 'Dennis'?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

File a bug report like I did. If enough people complain maybe they will do something about it.

https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/...s/RadarWeb.woa

That's not the correct form for everyone. You should use the Feedback forms:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Rather than submit a "complaint" about this, do you maybe have a "solution" you could offer Apple engineers? Afterall, we're all part of the "Mac community".

http://www.apple.com/feedback/
  • Reply 17 of 17
    apple has been working on a fix for this for some time now, and adding more complaints to their inbox isn't going to help anything. It'll be released when its ready. It'll also allow the update panel to work with other 3rd party apps also.

Don't think it will make Tiger 10.4.0, but maybe soon after