QuickTime 7 gains direct audio, video recording

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
QuickTime 7.0, due to ship as part of Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger," has quietly gained direct recording capabilities, according to sources. Two new supporting options, which will be accessible to QuickTime Pro users only, are reportedly labeled "New Movie Recording" or "New Audio Recording." Seemingly, any user with a Web cam and/or microphone will be able to tap into the features, sources said. The recording interfaces are accessible through QuickTime Movie Player 7.0 and consist of a standard QT Player window with a single, circular record button. Sources said these capabilities are present in the most recent build of Tiger. In related news, Apple has reportedly renamed its Graphing Calculator "Grapher," opting not to go with the "Graphulator" moniker it attempted to trademark earlier in the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Hmmmm direct video and audio recording in Quicktime Pro. Sounds like that QT based STB isn't too far off
  • Reply 2 of 18
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, hate to sound like a know-it-all, but direct recording was apparent on the tiger qt 7 page for a LONG time already...

• Reply 3 of 18
    So does this mean you can easily archive your iChat AV sessions?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you record iSight or DV in, not windows (like SnapzPro). Basically, you feel like recording a little sniippet of video (for a blog or to send to someone) and easy access to it.

Am not/cant say anything more about it.

Same thing with audio. New window appears and you record your voice or any ambient sounds.

And yes, this was announced on Apple's homepage since... well... since forever.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Cool. Somehow I didn't know about that.

And to think I might be using Tiger in a matter of weeks!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Someone must've told them I just bought WireTap Pro from Moki.

Adding easy recording features actually makes QT Pro worth the extra $$$.

For the average user, there's hardly been any reason to in the past.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Agreed, this suddenly makes QT Pro much more for the average user than just fullscreen playback. Nice.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Hmm.. Well yes, why not?

I always prefer "original" Software over Shareware (shoot me, I´m such an Apple whore), and that would also make me think again about buying an iSight.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I would like to see not only video record button, but also a snapshot button right next to it. A timetracker and what more do you need before making QT an option on new Sony HD cameras OR ..... the OS of an Apple camera built by a 3rd party wanting to make the "iPod of Videography."
  • Reply 10 of 18
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quicktime Broadcaster has been able to record sound and video to hard disk for a number of years from DV cams and quite possibly USB too although I've not tried it. It's free and available from Apple. It also lets you stream your audio/video either via a QT/Darwin streaming server or direct.

It's sadly not been updated in a number of years since it's first version but it works even if it's not as polished a product as Apple usually ship.

If they've rolled QTBroadcaster into QTPro then that's not a bad idea although I wouldn't have minded seeing a QTBroadcaster update too. Maybe if they bundle more stuff into Pro then it'll give them more reason to stop the stupid nag banner in the non-pro version which I'd bet is the reason most people upgrade (legally or otherwise).

It still amazes me that even if you buy a Mac from Apple, they don't provide a Pro version of QT.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

It still amazes me that even if you buy a Mac from Apple, they don't provide a Pro version of QT.

Agreed. At least on the "pro" machines: powerbooks and powermacs.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quicktime Broadcaster has not been discontinued.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Nobody said it was.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Nobody is suggesting it has been, but they've certainly rolled some of Broadcaster's features into Player.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quicktime Broadcaster has won an Award in the Content Management category at the NAB show yesterday (see MacMinute news)

Is there any new feature in the latest version of QT Broadcaster which deserve such an honor ?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    QT Broadcaster?

But that hasn't changed since the very first version in 2002 or 2003. And it's an odd one to win for "Content Management" although I suppose the video industry may have a different definition for content management where encoding and streaming apps become 'content management'.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

and i am sure it still amazes THEM that people still pay for quicktime pro... and they'll keep doing it until people, en masse, stop doing so.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

.... And it's an odd one to win for "Content Management" although I suppose the video industry may have a different definition for content management where encoding and streaming apps become 'content management'.

Yes, those poor ignorant professionals.