Apple's retail segment heightens iPod sales goals

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With analysts expecting Apple to sell upwards of 20 million iPods this year, the company has recently propositioned its retail segment to meet heightened iPod sales goals, AppleInsider has learned.

According to sources, Apple is now challenging its retail segment to move a total of 100,000 iPods each week. With just over 100 retail stores in operation this figure breaks down to approximately 1000 iPods per store, per week, and amounts to a total of over 5 million iPods for the year.

But not all stores are created equal, and likewise neither are the sales goals for each Apple store. While Apple expects some of its smaller retail stores to move only a few hundred iPods each week, it has reportedly asked some of the larger flagship retail stores to sell upwards of 5,000, and in one case 8,000, of the players each week.

Apple does not breakdown its iPod sales goal figures by model, sources said, making it difficult to estimate how many of the new flash-based iPod shuffle players the company hopes to sell through its retail stores. However, sources said that after initial strong demand for the 1GB iPod shuffle, the $99 512MB model has recently begun to outsell the $149 1GB iPod shuffle by a three-to-one ratio.

Sales of Apple's iPod photo players have also picked up steam following recent price cuts. According to sources, Apple retail stores are now selling large quantities of iPod photos and have recently moved stock of the players back onto the show room floors. Sources said that keeping large quantities of iPods in the showroom poses as a loss prevention issue, but with Apple's second fiscal quarter of 2005 coming to a close the company is looking to push as many iPods out the door as possible. Prior to the recent iPod price cuts, sources said that even Apple's largest retail stores were selling only a 'handful' of iPod photos each week.

But Apple Retail's recent iPod sales push doesn't stop at the players alone. According to sources, Apple is now tracking sales of AppleCare support packages for iPods on a per-employee basis. "This has enabled the company to see exactly which employees are not selling enough AppleCare extended warranties for iPods," said one source. The new employee monitoring system has reportedly helped the company raise its iPod AppleCare attach rates from just over 20% to nearly 40% in some stores.

Apple's online store, which operates independently of its retail segment, is also expected to ship several million iPods this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    When are we going to see and expansion of the iPod into other areas like the living room and better access in the car?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    That sales tracking thing (AppleCare targets per employee) is as bad as having commissioned salespeople.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

That sales tracking thing (AppleCare targets per employee) is as bad as having commissioned salespeople.

It's worse. You have all the pressure but none of the benefits of commission sales.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

It's worse. You have all the pressure but none of the benefits of commission sales.

Another reason to go to a reseller.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Another reason to go to a reseller.

that's for sure. some of the downsides of the mac mini (no keyboard/mouse) can be solved for free by going to a reseller. macmall.com gives away keyboard and mouse and printer. i'm sure there are some resellers out there giving away a bigger amount of RAM.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    One aspect of the iPod boom that is not emphasized enough, as far as I'm concerned, is the market for accessories.

I've had my own iPod for only a week and I've already spent $45 for extras. I got a cheap cassette adapter and an armband. Before that I had been sharing my daughter's iPod mini with her and found it necessary to buy EarJams and a RadioShark, that's another $85.

The thing is that the markup on accessories is astounding and Apple would be wise to play their cards right for charging accessory makers for the ability to use a "Made for iPod" badge. Money for nothing and your chicks for free.