Finder search doesn't find everything...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Having a strange little problem with 10.3.8. (Recent reinstall on a Powerbook G4 867).

Firstly, searching seems much slower than I remember it to be before. However, that's not all...

When I highlight a folder in a Finder window, change the search to 'selection' and type a search into the box, the results are inaccurate.

For example, I am searching a folder (containing subfolders) that I know to contain over 4000 jpg files. However, searching for 'jpg' in the filename gives only 501 results. Using the search box (command - F) gives the same results.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Tis a bug. It will top out just over 500 items for many people, including me.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gajonesgajones Posts: 12member
    Thanks. Do you know it it's specific to 10.3.8?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Wow talk about raising an old thread! Well the dingbats at apple still haven't fixed this bug after it has been pointed out over 3 YEARS AGO!!!!!

I'm having problems with finder finding all my jpg's just like the OP. It only finds about a dozen even though there are hundreds in sub directories! I have set to search by kind, and by size and it still won't! And I'm using 10.5.5! It's not a 500 limit either. Or folders in spotlights privacy area either.

APPLE PLEASE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    If you're not seeing the behavior (500 item limit, etc), then *it's not the bug we were talking about*. Sounds like a corrupted Spotlight index. Rebuild it.