Outlook Express

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've just performed a back-up of a Windows 'me' edition before upgrading to Windows XP (in order to use an iPod). However I am unable to find the Outlook Express e-mails. Does anyone have any idea where Outlook Express stores e-mails.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I've just performed a back-up of a Windows 'me' edition before upgrading to Windows XP (in order to use an iPod). However I am unable to find the Outlook Express e-mails. Does anyone have any idea where Outlook Express stores e-mails.

what you should be able to do is just click and drag whichever emails you want to save from their location in the outlook express window to an external hard drive, thumb drive or folder to be burned to CD.

For example, I drag an email subject titled "test" from the outlook express window to my desktop. Windows should create there a file called "test.eml" When the time comes to reimport these to outlook express, just drag your saved .eml files back into the outlook express window.

This is how I have dealt with backing up and importing back emails that aren't on a web based service like Hotmail.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

what you should be able to do is just click and drag whichever emails you want to save from their location in the outlook express window to an external hard drive, thumb drive or folder to be burned to CD.

For example, I drag an email subject titled "test" from the outlook express window to my desktop. Windows should create there a file called "test.eml" When the time comes to reimport these to outlook express, just drag your saved .eml files back into the outlook express window.

This is how I have dealt with backing up and importing back emails that aren't on a web based service like Hotmail.

unfortunately I deleted the entire computer and assumed they would be in an outlook folder (similar to mail in library on a Mac). However, I can't find the folder etc.!!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

unfortunately I deleted the entire computer and assumed they would be in an outlook folder (similar to mail in library on a Mac). However, I can't find the folder etc.!!

Okay, so I did a little research... there is a way to find the folder in which outlook express stores its data. Before looking for it, make sure that you have activated the option to view hidden files. In outlook express look under tools/options/maintinence. There is a button there that is labeled "store folder" Click this button and the path to the folder in which everything is saved is displayed. To backup and restore the OE data, just backup this folder and recopy whenever you want to restore. I hope this helps, but if you have "deleted the entire computer" it is possible (depending on what exactly you mean) that this folder was deleted as well or all the data that was stored within has been deleted. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I formatted the hard drive and backup up the documents folder and program files. Unfortunately Outlook Express wasn't in the program files folder? Know any good recovery software?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

I formatted the hard drive and backup up the documents folder and program files. Unfortunately Outlook Express wasn't in the program files folder? Know any good recovery software?

Recovery software is a bit beyond my knowledge. I am sorry to read that you did completely reformat you hard drive. OE does place a folder in the C:/program files directory, but the data we are looking for is not stored there. It is stored in C:/documents and settings/(your name)/local settings/application data/identities/(alphanumeric gibberish)/microsoft/outlook express. Unless you backed this folder up somehow, it may be that your emails are beyond salvaging. But like I said first, I don't know anything about recovery software so there may still be hope. Sorry
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Recovery software is a bit beyond my knowledge. I am sorry to read that you did completely reformat you hard drive. OE does place a folder in the C:/program files directory, but the data we are looking for is not stored there. It is stored in C:/documents and settings/(your name)/local settings/application data/identities/(alphanumeric gibberish)/microsoft/outlook express. Unless you backed this folder up somehow, it may be that your emails are beyond salvaging. But like I said first, I don't know anything about recovery software so there may still be hope. Sorry

under ME the folder system is quite different and that's the problem. I didn't back-up properly. Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

under ME the folder system is quite different and that's the problem. I didn't back-up properly. Thanks for your help.

oh crap... I totally missed the fact that you are using ME. If its possibile, do yourself a favor and upgrade to XP. Sorry that I couldn't help.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

oh crap... I totally missed the fact that you are using ME. If its possibile, do yourself a favor and upgrade to XP. Sorry that I couldn't help.

that was the problem, I upgraded but couldn't find the e-mails on the old system.