Absolution for a pirate

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a lot of music on my computer. A lot. Only ~1/4th of that is ripped from my own sources. And only a few dozen MB of those 60+GB were purchased digitally.

I am a music pirate. And I have never felt guilty about it. Not enough guilt that would prompt me to stop, anyway, though I suppose I wouldn't be starting this little experiment if I wasn't experiencing some type of guilt.

The first step in my experiment will be to send a check for $15 to Paul Westerberg. (I decided to start with not-big-but-not-tiny artists.)

I own three of his albums, but I have pirated the last two. So instead of buying CDs, waiting for him to come to Austin or buying a t-shirt I'll never wear, I have decided to see if there is a way to compensate him directly.

The following is an e-mail I sent to his manager:

Quote:

Hello Darren,

My name is Adam and I am interested in sending a personal check to Paul Westerberg.

If you could tell me where to mail the check I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Sincerely,

groverat

Short and to-the-point. No need to tell him why I want to send it.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Now I see why your site is beckhamsite.com!

I thought you were a fan of David Beckham

good luck,
  • Reply 2 of 115
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If anyone asks I will tell them it's a birthday present.

Actually, looking at the CD I wasted good money on (Cake's newest album Pressure Chief) I am wondering if I could make this work both ways and write in demanding a refund.
  • Reply 3 of 115
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    The thing about downloading music is that, unless you're downloading shit from smaller indie labels illegally. The people that really get screwed from the downloading are not the artists but the labels. They're the ones that lose the money. Artists make a pittance on record sales, even the double platinum whatever super sellers still don't end up with all that much cash in their pockets. They make their money from selling themselves and their shit in as many venues as possible. Touring, merchandizing, promotions, appearances...etc. That's where the artists cash in and get real paid.

I'm not saying, go steal music, but your $15 wouldn't be going to the artist if you had bought the album. \ So, do your thing groverat, generous fellow heh, how about you give me $15 too, you can download all my music here
  • Reply 4 of 115
    hey hey hey... some of us actually like those small indie labels.
  • Reply 5 of 115
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Then don't download music from them, it hurts them and more specifically, their artists a lot more than it hurts the 900 lbs gorillas.
  • Reply 6 of 115
    Do you think that you can actually find any small indie label music in mainstream P2P programs?

I usually download live concerts using BitTorrent in FLAC format. I'm not interested in 128 kb/s or whatever it is they have in P2P networks.

But that's not the point. You called their work shit. That's why I said some of us like them, not because we like them so much that we spend 3048 days looking for their music.

• Reply 7 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

The thing about downloading music is that, unless you're downloading shit from smaller indie labels illegally. The people that really get screwed from the downloading are not the artists but the labels. They're the ones that lose the money.

Exactly.

This is why I said "I decided to start with not-big-but-not-tiny artists."

The two Westerberg albums I swiped were off Warner Brothers Records. I have no interest in giving them money. His last two albums were on Vagrant Records, I bought one of those (and I haven't heard the other).

I'm a big fan of Saddle Creek artists. I've swiped a couple Bright Eyes albums, but I've bought 4 (including that stinker Digital Ash in a Digital Urn) and been to 2 Rilo Kiley shows (they aren't on Saddle Creek anymore ) and bought 3 of theirs; so I don't really feel guilty about it.

Giving the indie artist money directly is good, but probably better to support that small, homegrown label while you're at it.

To me it's about finding your own moral ground in this shifting paradigm. If I can get this kind of thing going I think I'll be 100% square with the whole thing even if it's not what I am legally obliged to do.
  • Reply 8 of 115
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    so are these contributions tax deductible too, that is, if they are "gifts" to the artists?
  • Reply 9 of 115
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    I don't understand the morality behind this, as without the record companies and promoters, I bet

1. The guy would not have made so much music.

2. You would never have heard of it.

But whatever, you never hear many musicians claim they were treated unfairly by the record companies, apparently you're the only party in this equation that gives a damn.
  • Reply 10 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

...you never hear many musicians claim they were treated unfairly by the record companies...

Are you being sarcastic?
  • Reply 11 of 115
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    groverat, what about a "go and sin no more approach"?
  • Reply 12 of 115
    You missed the part where I said that I don't really feel guilty about pirating music.
  • Reply 13 of 115
    I have a number of friends who have been involved in small / indie music labels over the years and at least two of them reckon that P2P is the reason their respective labels went under. In both cases it wasn't due to reduced music sales but to the labels being dropped by the majors to which they were affiliated due to the majors seeing reduced sales that were blamed on P2P. Whether or not the reduced sales could genuinely be blamed on P2P (as opposed to shitty releases and a general downturn in music sales) remains to be determined.

That said, I don't feel any guilt whatsoever about pirating music. If something is good I'll end up buying it anyway. Being able to BitTorrent a quality CD rip just saves me having to spend an hour or so recording and encoding from vinyl.
  • Reply 14 of 115
    Blaming failure on piracy is the Hot Thing.

I remember the producers of Soul Plane blaming the failure of their horrific movie on piracy.
  • Reply 15 of 115
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Yeah, I just started stealing everything too!! I mean how dare these department stores and malls demand such a premium for what they paid pennies for. Why should I spend $200 bucks on a pair of shoes when the poor kid that made them only got $.25? So, I just steal my stuff, perhaps I will send the kids in these 3rd world countries $50 so that I can sleep at night....
  • Reply 16 of 115
    if you want to start paying for songs you might start with allofmp3.com . you pay by how many megabytes you download and they allow you to determine what bit rate you want your mp3s. the music is dirt cheap, and they have a pretty solid selection. the kicker is that the site resides in russia which has rather lax copyright laws so everything you download is legal, at least for now. a friend of mine just payed 15 dollars and was able to get an ass load music all encoded at 192 bit rate. comes out to be 2 cents a megabyte.
  • Reply 17 of 115
    rws:

Artists don't get any money from allofmp3.com. It's a nice service, but it's really no different from regular piracy.

The law doesn't bother me. I know I break the law when I pirate music, that's not my concern. My only concern is whether or not the artist is compensated.

ijerry:

Music piracy deprives no one of property as would shoe theft. Do not start this argument, you will lose.

Music pirates violate copyrights, they do not steal items. It is a night and day difference.
  • Reply 18 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

rws:

Artists don't get any money from allofmp3.com. It's a nice service, but it's really no different from regular piracy.

The law doesn't bother me. I know I break the law when I pirate music, that's not my concern. My only concern is whether or not the artist is compensated.

ijerry:

Music piracy deprives no one of property as would shoe theft. Do not start this argument, you will lose.

Music pirates violate copyrights, they do not steal items. It is a night and day difference.

i see your point. if you like something do you ever buy the cd? i do. i spent more money on music when napster was in it's hay day.
  • Reply 19 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

i see your point. if you like something do you ever buy the cd? i do. i spent more money on music when napster was in it's hay day.

I still buy CDs, but not as many as I used to. I don't like them. They take up space and all I do with them is rip them and put the CD on a shelf. I won't buy DRM digital music anymore. I've spent a decent amount at iTMS but not anymore.

I go to more shows and buy merchandise there now than I did, though. It isn't really a conscious decision to make up for buying less CDs it's just the way it has worked out. I definitely spend more money on music than I did, but that's more a function of me having more disposable income now than I did before as a full-time student.
  • Reply 20 of 115
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    May I ask why you don't fell guilty?