OS X and Exchange Server

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi, folks!

I've just ordered a Mac Mini to use at work and was wondering if Apple's Mail program will have the same kinds of features that I use in Outlook (We have our own Exchange server.). I'm hoping to have the calendar reminder function that's so helpful to me.

Thanks for your help!

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emathis

Hi, folks!

I've just ordered a Mac Mini to use at work and was wondering if Apple's Mail program will have the same kinds of features that I use in Outlook (We have our own Exchange server.). I'm hoping to have the calendar reminder function that's so helpful to me.

Thanks for your help!

Eric

You will have Mail.app and ical for calendering, but to tie everything together, I would say look at MS Entourage, part of office:mac 2004, it should fit the bill.

The Mac comes with a 30 day trial of Office standard to make sure everything works for you.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Exchange's calendaring is completely proprietary, it will not work with anything non-Microsoft. Apple does have a calendaring program (iCal) that uses an industry standard format (vcal/ical), but of course Exchange will have nothing to do with it.

Apple's Mail.app program will access Exchange as a mail server, either through industry standard POP3 or IMAP protocols, or through Exchange's own proprietary protocol (reverse engineered probably).

Microsoft's Entourage does have support for calendaring on Exchange, but I have never used it, so I can't comment on how complete it is.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I appreciate the quick and helpful responses, guys! We've got an MS Campus Agreement with MS, and I ordered the Mac version of Office, so I'll give Entourage a spin.

Thanks again!

Eric