How do you make an app run on startup?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I downloaded a freeware called X-Assist to restore some of the features of Classic to OSX and I would like to make it run on startup. How do I do that?

Also, does anyone know how to get X-Assist to stop displaying the stupid Shortcuts menu?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    System Preferences > Accounts > Startup Items
  • Reply 2 of 6
    <sarcasm>

No, No... he wants to do everything the MacOS 9 way!...

so... put it into your "System Folder" in "Startup Items"...

and for the second question: stop using X-Assist?

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    What feature of OS 9 are you trying to get back, specifically? X-Assist is at version 0.7 and hasn't been updated since 11/04/03. My guess is that it isn't being maintained anymore. I'll bet there will come a time when X-Assist gets broken by an OS update and then you'll be forced to use OS X as is. You'd probably be better off giving OS X a chance instead of trying to re-live the OS 9 days. Maybe there's a very similar option in OS X for the one you're trying to get back. Let us know, maybe we can suggest something.

Here's a list of X-Assist's options and OS X alternatives:

Application Switcher Menu (top right corner of screen). X-Assist has a similar implementation.

The dock is much better than an Applications menu. Not only can you see all applications that are open with a quick glance but if you click an application's icon and hold for a second a menu of that application's windows will appear, letting you go directly to it without use a multi?step click on application menu, choose application, click on a menu, choose window. Expose is even better if you are running Panther.

More than a 5 item "Recent Applications" menu. X-Assist has no "limit".

I'm using Jaguar and I have 10 Recent Apps and Documents. If you drag your Applications folder to the Dock, next to the Trash, all your Applications and Utilities will accessible through a pop up menu. The same can be done with your Documents folder.

The ability to add personal hierarchies of items in an OS9-like "apple" menu. X-Assist allows users to add any hierarchy into a "Shortcuts" submenu.

See previous suggestion.

An extensible "Control Strip" like plugin architecture. X-Assist supports Objective-C (NSBundle) plugins. They are easy to write, and examples "SetVolume" and "MP3 Player" plugins are provided in this distribution.

Personally I never used the Control Strip is OS 9 so I can't help you with this one

OS 9 window behavior - when you switch applications by clicking in a window, all windows for that application are shown. This behavior has changed in OSX and can be a bit annoying. X-Assist brings back the OS9 windowing functionality and also allows you to toggle between modes.

Exposé, Exposé, Exposé!

Easy access to System Preferences (Control Panels).

Try Prefling. I use it myself.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    fathomfathom Posts: 7member
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a directory like this. It tried putting it in System > Library > StatupItems but it didn't work. I guess it just isn't going to work.

The reason I want to use this is as a replacement for Expose. Expose is driving me nuts because I keep activating it accidentally. I don't know how many other people have this problem. Maybe it has something to do with the way I use the mouse. I really wish Apple had made some little buttons in the menubar (like the three buttons at the top of a window) for controlling Expose.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fathom

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a directory like this. It tried putting it in System > Library > StatupItems but it didn't work. I guess it just isn't going to work.

That's because it's not a directory. Open the System Preferences, Click the Accounts button and then click the startup items tab.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fathom

The reason I want to use this is as a replacement for Expose. Expose is driving me nuts because I keep activating it accidentally. I don't know how many other people have this problem. Maybe it has something to do with the way I use the mouse. I really wish Apple had made some little buttons in the menubar (like the three buttons at the top of a window) for controlling Expose.

So turn off the Exposé hot zones and only use the keyboard to activate it.