Office Mac MS conspiracy?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does office Mac make contact with microsoft if you are online but office is not running? Lets say microsoft discovers a version that is not on their record as being purchased, what do they do? I keep getting bin failures and strange app shutdowns so I am wondering if it is because of this office suite that I found online? If it is M$ I can delete it for open office, no big deal but does MS operate like that or is this another issue all together?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by XdEd

Does office Mac make contact with microsoft if you are online but office is not running? Lets say microsoft discovers a version that is not on their record as being purchased, what do they do? I keep getting bin failures and strange app shutdowns so I am wondering if it is because of this office suite that I found online? If it is M$ I can delete it for open office, no big deal but does MS operate like that or is this another issue all together?

hmm no i don't think it is being that diabolical
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Troubleshooting of pirated software isn't allowed here.

MS Office only checks for other instances with the same serial # on the local network, as far as I know.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    We don't know that he's pirating software. Many people simply do not want Office beaming their personal info back to Microsoft's lair. Would you?

For cases like this, I use Little Snitch (check versiontracker.com for it). It monitors outgoing data on an internet connection and will alert the user to anything he did not authorize. I've been using it for about a year and am constantly amazed at how often some apps attempt to phone home, purportedly for things like version checking and so forth, but I don't doubt some are for nefarious purposes.

Of course nobody here at AI advocates something evil like piracy, which is done primarily by evildoer terrorists who hate freedom and democracy.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Of course nobody here at AI advocates something evil like piracy, which is done primarily by evildoer terrorists who hate freedom and democracy.

piracy is BAD.... mmmmkay... (from south park )
  • Reply 5 of 8
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

We don't know that he's pirating software. Many people simply do not want Office beaming their personal info back to Microsoft's lair. Would you?

Quote:

Originally posted by XdEd

I keep getting bin failures and strange app shutdowns so I am wondering if it is because of this office suite that I found online?

Unless MS is now selling Office via download I'd say there's a 99.44% chance XdEd is using a pirated version of Office.

Quote:

• Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Unless MS is now selling Office via download I'd say there's a 99.44% chance XdEd is using a pirated version of Office.

and unless XdEd means 'bought' when he says 'found' , unless its a backup copy of his he left on some server

peace.

-sunil

• Reply 7 of 8
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

and unless XdEd means 'bought' when he says 'found' , unless its a backup copy of his he left on some server

peace.

-sunil

Yea, I guess I shouldn't judge without knowing more info. My bad.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Big Brother is watching...

or maybe he's not...

If you have a legit app like Office that keeps crashing, you can always try reinstalling and updating to the latest version and see if that solves your problem, but yeah, piracy is evil!