Locking the screen . . .

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As I'm configuring my new system, I forgot how to make it ask for a password after waking up from sleep. Where do I go to set that?

Next, can the screen be looked while the system is running without logging out?

Thanks!

-Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    System Preferences -> Security; check "Require password to wake..."

WRT locking the screen at login window - is the login window not really enough? Or did I miss the point of the question?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

System Preferences -> Security; check "Require password to wake..."

Thanks Costique! That's what I was looking for. Just was looking in the wrong place!

Quote:

Originally posted by costique

WRT locking the screen at login window - is the login window not really enough? Or did I miss the point of the question? [/B]

On Win NT 4.0 and 2000, you could manually hit a keystroke to lock the screen. But looks like on present day Macs, you just enable you screen saver, and have the require password setting in the security.

In the accounts settings for my account there is something called a " set Master Password for this machine". What is this for?

-Scott
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

Thanks Costique! That's what I was looking for. Just was looking in the wrong place!

On Win NT 4.0 and 2000, you could manually hit a keystroke to lock the screen. But looks like on present day Macs, you just enable you screen saver, and have the require password setting in the security.

-Scott

Scott, if you open the Keychain Access app. in the menu bar go to View, then select "Show status in Menu Bar". This adds the Keychain icon to your menu bar, from there, locking the screen is an option.

Alternativly you can have the Screen saver activated from a hot corner, so it is just a mouse gesture to lock the screen.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by slyinthedam

Scott, if you open the Keychain Access app. in the menu bar go to View, then select "Show status in Menu Bar". This adds the Keychain icon to your menu bar, from there, locking the screen is an option.

Alternativly you can have the Screen saver activated from a hot corner, so it is just a mouse gesture to lock the screen.

Thanks Sly, this what I was REALLY looking for, some way to invoke via a menu. Thanks for this tip!! Now have the option right up in the menu bar!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    Quote:

In the accounts settings for my account there is something called a " set Master Password for this machine". What is this for?

-Scott

The Master Password is for Firevault. It is in case another user turns on firevault and forgets their password so you can get into their files.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

As I'm configuring my new system, I forgot how to make it ask for a password after waking up from sleep. Where do I go to set that?

Next, can the screen be looked while the system is running without logging out?

Thanks!

-Scott

Another way is to turn on fast-user switching (Accounts in system preferences) and in the top right of your screen there will be your short name. You can select "login window..." at the bottom and this locks your computer. In theory you can set a shortcut for this but I haven't got any to work.