raid

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
does anyone know how to raid 2 motherboards together si that i can use the space on both hard drives and the speed of both processors at the same time and pretty much have everything on both motherboards in use at the same time?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I'd just get a DP mobo with a SATA RAID.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    This is very political!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ATI-MAN2

does anyone know how to raid 2 motherboards together si that i can use the space on both hard drives and the speed of both processors at the same time and pretty much have everything on both motherboards in use at the same time?

Impossible. You can't raid a BIOS
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    RAID - Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks.

Hmmm, nothing about motherboards there. Give hmurchison a cookie!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Omega

This is very political!

And now my comment makes no sense.

• Reply 6 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Impossible. You can't raid a BIOS

Not exactly true...

At NAB a bunch of years ago, some booth was demonstrating a real-time green-screen using two Beige G3's and a Canon GL1. Both motherboards were wired together in some way that created a dual processor machine in order to acquire enough processor power. I can only assume that hard drives and extras would also be shared after all, it was a video editing station. By today's standards, it is too much work and not really worth it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It might be possible but it certainly wouldn't be a RAID setup.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    umm... at the risk of garnering wrath from being a snitch, wasn't ATI-MAN banned? let's hope ATI-MAN2 is new and improved

nah bro, it's all cool. back on topic (to save my a5s on this thread and giving me a valid reason for this post)

...i have no idea how to pull off a RAID idea like yours. why would you want to do it? a RAID controller card is usually the best way to go

also you can buy a Firewire800 Lacie RAID 1terabyte thingy. the onboard RAID controller chipset built into the Lacie box does the RAID stuff for you, and hard disk modules are hot swappable, i think.