Apple branded Money management software?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I would like to get some of your thoughts on an Apple branded "Money Management" application.

In my experience of converting pc users to the Mac platform, one of the biggest complaints I get from ex-pc users is the lack of a decent financial management application for the Mac.

Let's face it, Quicken stinks for both Mac and PC, But the Mac version is so dang buggy It's almost non-useable. I know there are some third party Mac alternatives, but I really wish Apple would develop their own Financial software and do it right.

Anyone agree/disagree? Is there really not large enough of demand for this type of Mac application for Apple developers to develop one?

Maybe we should all band together and write to Apple feedback to let them know we need this. I know a ton of PC users who rely on Microsoft Money and/or Quicken for their financial needs. Surely Apple has it in em to give us something better than Intuits Quicken.

Send your requests to Apple!

http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    nuggetnugget Posts: 19member
    Yeah, I've long-ago sent this exact feedback to Apple. Quicken for Mac is truly awful in comparison to the options available in Windows. I tried to use it for a few years, but I've since migrated back to Quicken for Windows. It's the only app that keeps me using this headless Windows box under my desk.

Every year I cross my fingers for a financial management app to be part of iLife.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    why is everyone so set on apple making these apps. shouldnt your complaints be directed at quicken and the likes?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

In my experience of converting pc users to the Mac platform, one of the biggest complaints I get from ex-pc users is the lack of a decent financial management application for the Mac.

I find that strange because the PC market is dominated by Quicken and Microsoft Money. It's not like they have a bunch of choices beyond that.

The Mac has a equivalent amount of banking apps proportionally.

iBank

Liquid Ledger

and a few more are out there. However, money management softare really isn't a hot market. Dealing with banks is a pain because they are scrooges and very cheap. And the fact that people tend to use the apps for a bit and then trail off. I'm guilty of that lol.

I think we're stuck with Quicken as the notable finance manager for the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Isn't some high ranking Intuit muckety muck on the board at Apple? Isn't this why Intuit started making Quickbooks for Mac again?

I guess I haven't run into these bugs in Quicken but then again, I only use it for the account recon / expense tracking pieces. I don't grab data from online sources.

I imagine it would be very difficult for a startup company to get many banks to allow their application to interface with a bank's online presence. Especially when you consider the possible security risks.

What if someone pretended to be a startup company and put out a Quicken-like program that secretly harvested all users' banking info like logins/passwords and such? They could suck all the money from all the users' accounts and disappear before legal action could be brought on them.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Apple already has a variety of money management apps. The first is OS X: it withdraws $130 every 18 months or so. The best manager is a tricked out Powermac or Powerbook, which withdraws ~$3000 every couple years.

Apple even has a portable money manager, that withdraws from you account one large sum followed by a stream of small sums to keep it well fed. Very innovative.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

why is everyone so set on apple making these apps. shouldnt your complaints be directed at quicken and the likes?

Because I think if Apple did it, it would be done right. Intuitive and functional. As Nugget said, the Mac version of Quicken pales in comparison to the Windows version ( and even the Windows version is pretty buggy.) Microsoft Money is also a decent app for Windows users. There are a few money management apps available for OSX, but none of them are very full-featured and/or reliable compared to the Windows options. It's unfortunate, I talked my brother into buying a Mac which he is very happy with, but he still has to keep his old Windows box around just to handle his finances...

It seems like every upgrade that comes out for Mac Quicken gets progressively worse, more bugs and malfunctions and their tech-support is absolutely awful. I just think Intuit is not that concerned about the Mac version as the majority of their sales are for the Windows version.

We really need Apple to step in and develop this.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I find that strange because the PC market is dominated by Quicken and Microsoft Money. It's not like they have a bunch of choices beyond that.

The Mac has a equivalent amount of banking apps proportionally.

iBank

Liquid Ledger

and a few more are out there. However, money management softare really isn't a hot market. Dealing with banks is a pain because they are scrooges and very cheap. And the fact that people tend to use the apps for a bit and then trail off. I'm guilty of that lol.

I think we're stuck with Quicken as the notable finance manager for the foreseeable future.

I'm not saying there are a ton of choices for Windows. It's just the two big choices avaliable are both pretty good. The Mac options are not.

iBank is just a baby app. I've tried it, but it's not in the same league as Quicken or MS Money.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Apple already has a variety of money management apps. The first is OS X: it withdraws $130 every 18 months or so. The best manager is a tricked out Powermac or Powerbook, which withdraws ~$3000 every couple years.

Apple even has a portable money manager, that withdraws from you account one large sum followed by a stream of small sums to keep it well fed. Very innovative.

This manager has no bugs, and its UI is so simple and elegant...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    pbaker05pbaker05 Posts: 143member
    I bought a version of Quicken when I first converted to Mac a few years ago. I almost puked. I ponied up for QuickBooks Pro 6.0 and have been very happy. It does not have the best user interface, but that app itself does a verygood job tracking bills and expences, loans and etc. I don't track my investments through it though...Quicken will, but why enter stuff that you can get from your broker online anyway.

FirstEdge by MYOB is good but has no way to track and pay bills, which to me is so stupid, why buy the damn thing?

I guess I would rather Apple do it and make it have a cool interface. There is good reason why they don't, but I don't know what it is.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    What is this doing in future HARDWARE? maybe we need a future software forum? Mods?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    benjamin_rbenjamin_r Posts: 265member
    Moving to Applications