12-inch SuperDrive or 15-inch Combo Drive?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have the money to get a 15-inch Combo Drive. However, with $300 less, one can get a 12-inch SuperDrive. My dilemma is, is the $300 more worth the screen size, backlit keyboard and other extras from the 15-inch?

I would love a SuperDrive, as I have never owned a DVD writer as a PC or a Mac user. And I have read here and other discussion boards that the 12-inch is great for mobility, but lacks the screen size, whilst the 15-inch owners have loved their machines, but would go for a 12-inch as a future purchase.

The bottomline for me is, this PowerBook will mainly be my primary computer for 4-5 years down the road (whether it's on the road or at work or at home for me).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    the advantage of the 15" is that it has better connectivity, i.e. firewire 800, and has a better video card. the superdrive, though, in my opinion, is a good buy. thats the number one thing i want right now, but thats something you have to decide. so if you think that you'll be getting new technology that requires new types of connectivity, or if you'll be doing graphics intensive stuff, go with the 15". if you'll be doing mainly simple stuff and making movies, definitely go with the 12". thats what i think, at least. happy purchasing
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    In the future, you can get an external DVD burner and connect it to your 15" Powerbook through the FW800 port. The extra screen and other amenities that it has will be well worth it if this is going to be your primary machine for 4-5 years.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Go with an external DVD writer... that way, you can get a dual-layer drive now and upgrade as newer/faster drives come down the pike. The 15" screen real estate is worth that trade-off IMHO.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Get the 15" plus this and do this.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Perfect
  • Reply 6 of 13
    tlingtling Posts: 45member
    Thanks for your inputs guys! If I were to get the 15-inch Combo Drive, how do I determine if the PowerBook is the latest revision? Just wanted to make sure that I don't get the previous revision, with someone swapping out the SuperDrive and putting in a Combo.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by tling

Thanks for your inputs guys! If I were to get the 15-inch Combo Drive, how do I determine if the PowerBook is the latest revision? Just wanted to make sure that I don't get the previous revision, with someone swapping out the SuperDrive and putting in a Combo.

Buy it new at Apple.com.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I'm planning to get the 15-inch Combo Drive at an Apple Center. So I was wondering what I should take note of if the PowerBook is new and unused/not a demo unit at the store?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by tling

I'm planning to get the 15-inch Combo Drive at an Apple Center. So I was wondering what I should take note of if the PowerBook is new and unused/not a demo unit at the store?

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I don't understand what you're getting at. If you want a new Powerbook in the box, ask for one. There are sections in the store that are for used/open box items. I'd guess I'd say don't buy one of those.

If I'm missing the real point, please be more specific.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I don't understand what you're getting at. If you want a new Powerbook in the box, ask for one. There are sections in the store that are for used/open box items. I'd guess I'd say don't buy one of those.

If I'm missing the real point, please be more specific.

okok. My point is, I want to be for sure that the PowerBook is brand new right out of the box, and not repackaged and turned on before. Asking for a new Powerbook from the box may not guarantee me a new system, as technically, it can be repackaged in a original state/sticker. Am I correct?

My point is, when I start-up the new PowerBook, is there a way in telling if the PowerBook is new and unused? Is there like a systems log that I can check from the PowerBook?

Ps. There's no Apple Store where I'm living. Therefore, I'm purchasing the PowerBook from an AppleCenter/an Apple Authorized Partner.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Don't be so paranoid... you can easily tell if the box has been opened before. Make sure you get a perfectly sealed box.

Also, it's against consumer protection laws to sell a used/demo product as new. Most stores wouldn't even try it...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Don't be so paranoid... you can easily tell if the box has been opened before. Make sure you get a perfectly sealed box.

Also, it's against consumer protection laws to sell a used/demo product as new. Most stores wouldn't even try it...

Would it make a difference if I'm telling you that I'm purchasing the PowerBook in Asia, the number one sales in piracy software in the world...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Just buy it from a reputable dealer and use a credit card for extra protection.