How to unlearn spelling using Mail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was typing an email in Mail and had a word mispelled. I went to right click it to correct it and I believe I hit the learn spelling (I have no idea how) and the red line went away.

Where can I find the ditionary that stores those words to get this corrected?

Thanks,

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    This happened to me, as well. I found myself rather frustrated trying to figure out how to undo it. Can't say I found a way, either, such as yourself... That would suck if Apple forgot to make a way to unlearn bad spellings.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    What was so bad was I hit "fn" + click and that caused the word to be learned. The "crtl" key is next to the "fn" key on iBook. Bad layout for right click and learn spelling shortcut.

Eric
  • Reply 3 of 8
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    There's a text file in user (your home directory)-->Library-->Spelling that looks like a concatenation of user-added words. I was able to open it in TextEdit, but I didn't try to edit it. Save a copy to your desktop just in case and then try deleting the offending word.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Thanks, I've been wondering this forever also.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

There's a text file in user (your home directory)-->Library-->Spelling that looks like a concatenation of user-added words. I was able to open it in TextEdit, but I didn't try to edit it. Save a copy to your desktop just in case and then try deleting the offending word.

I don't have a spelling folder. I have done a search with no luck.

Eric
  • Reply 6 of 8
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I dont know if its the one mail uses but there is a dictionary in...

/usr/share/dict/words

EDIT: Although that is a useful dictionary... its not the one, although perhaps it could get used... words are not added to it. I just "learned" a word with textedit and it turned up in /Users/myusername/Library/Spelling/en

Hope that helps

spheric
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Get this...

My iMac has that folder and file but my iBook does not. Weird!!

Eric
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I know this is an old post but I was still having issues with this in 2023. I did however find a fix. There's no "unlearn" option in the Mail app for some reason, however, if you go and paste the word into Pages, you can right click it and "unlearn" the word, it will then update across the mac, including in Mail. 
    muthuk_vanalingam