Has the pink problem on the 23" ACDs been fixed?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm about to purchase a 23" or 30" ACD, but I'm a little worried about the "pink" issue.

Also, would you guys purchase a single 30" display, or two 23" displays. I've noticed that both configurations come out at almost the same price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    imediaimedia Posts: 3member
    No they have not. There are other problems with the 23" besides the pink cast. Yellow/dirty left and right edges, washed out corners and ghosting.

I have two 23" displays one of them is the latest serial number and I think the earlier build looks better. Apple is not doing anything about this but sending out more crap. I have already returned 2 displays.

Most people who report that their screen is fine are not looking for it, have nothing to compare it to, or just don't do color critical work. Once you suggest that they change their background to gray, pull up identical windows side by side, etc. they see it.

The 23" just doesn't live up to the marketing claims or Steve's comment. I wouldn't be upset if they haden't claimed such bs. Yellowish on the the left, color gets better as you move toward the center, perfect in the middle, getting worse again as we move right, now yellow again. Pink is the new gray. No need to leave windows open, they now ghost on your desktop. How's that for a product description.

Go with the 30" Display or wait until Apple stops using this crappy LG lcd.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    If it's got to be an Apple, don't even consider the 23", take the 30".

Other manufacturers make good 23":s though. Dell (24"), HP, Viewsonic; you can't go wrong with any of those. You can get two Dells for $2000...

Somehow I think you want this for work; can't help you there about dual 23" vs single 30" since I have no idea what you do. I'm a coder and I was really going to spend that much on displays then I guess I'd prefer dual 23" or 24". I would keep one horizontal and rotate the another vertical for *huge* pages of text.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Mmmm? I do fancy the 30"er, but the need for that graphics card pushes it firmly in to the "more money than sense" category.

I know I want it, and I know that I have a genuine need for it ? but I also know that six months from now Apple are going to release a similar product at half the price, and you won't need to buy the graphics card either?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    It's totally out of normal Apple behavior to drop prices radically when the product has no competition, so I wouldn't expect that rosy views for the 30".

Likewise with the video cards. Of course you need to buy one, it's not going to come out of thin air, and you need the dual link to drive the 30". The top end 6800 and 850 cards are not coming down fast, so the real question is if Apple is going to ask nVidia or ATi to slam dual link on one of their cheaper cards soon. I don't see them making one without special request; it might still not be a good deal for them. Dual link is very specialized equipment since no one besides Apple makes screens with that nutty resolution.

Why not get a Dell 24" now? It's as good as the HP and the Viewsonic, but doesn't cost like the Apple. If your need for displays is "ongoing" then you'll have a good display and can reassess in six months. If need be, you can ebay the screen and lose a couple hundred max. Or you can put it to HDTV duty, it certainly has the connectors for that.