Two more Apple hardware projects in the pipeline

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer has recently completed the development of two new hardware projects that are expected to be released in the coming weeks or months, AppleInsider has learned.

Although specific details remain shrouded in mystery, sources have noticed two new blips on the Apple hardware radar. The first, a project code-named "Q87," appears to have recently received approval for manufacturing in Asia.

Sources describe Q87 as an update to an existing desktop computer that the company targets at both the consumer and education markets. However, the only major change appears to be the default operating system, which will see an upgrade from Mac OS X 10.3 Panther to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

While Q87 could represent updated iMacs or eMacs, the consensus among sources is that Q87 is likely the first minor revision to the Mac mini. With Apple making an aggressive push towards regaining lost market share with the mini, sources believe the company would like to begin shipping new models pre-loaded with Tiger as soon as possible.

The second hardware project to hit the radar carries the codename "M18." But sources were unable to positively identify the project, other than to say it was desktop-related. M18 is scheduled to debut alongside Q87 and may very well represent a new Apple peripheral or wireless device.

Sources were further puzzled by a couple of recent software projects, which reportedly go by the codenames "Omega" and "Bazooka." Both projects were completed early last month and pertain to consumer-oriented software products.

Although sources were unable to identify the two projects with any degree of certainty, they said the codenames could simply pertain to the recently released Keynote 2.0.1 and Pages 1.0.1 software updates.

Sources expect Apple to begin introducing a slew of new hardware and software products during the third week of April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    iTunes 5??
  • Reply 2 of 38
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I agree that iTunes is due for an update. Adding changes that coincide with Tiger sounds like a good plan to me.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    God, that couldn't be any more vague.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    It would also make sense with the PyMusique problems they've been having recently. I expect them to come out with a new version soon that will plug the "flaws" in the existing product.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    So, to reiterate: Apple will likely upgrade one of its computer lines, might introduce an unknown new device, and has recently released point upgrades to two applications.

Well, I suppose caution is better than Macosrumors-style reporting, aka making up whatever might sound cool.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by holophile

It would also make sense with the PyMusique problems they've been having recently. I expect them to come out with a new version soon that will plug the "flaws" in the existing product.

I was surprised at the fact that Apple didn't readdress the situation, aside from hiring DVD Jon. Makes me think that a new version is almost ready, and why waste time plugging holes when the master plug (iTunes 5) is already lined up at the gate.

At this point, waiting for Tiger feels like pre-MacWorld XMas-eve.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    ejieji Posts: 39member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

God, that couldn't be any more vague.

No kidding. I prefer more specific rumors, even if they're wholly innacurate.

I think the US government based its Iraqi WMD intelligence on reports like this one.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

... a project code-named "Q87," appears to have recently received approval for manufacturing in Asia. Sources describe Q87 as an update to an existing desktop computer that the company targets at both the consumer and education markets. However, the only major change appears to be the default operating system, which will see an upgrade from Mac OS X 10.3 Panther to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Why would the inclusion of 10.4 require approval for manufacturing? I wouldn't consider 10.4 a hardware change. There must be something more to it than that.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quicktime 7 is being launched with Tiger, but doesn't require Tiger. I'm sure iTunes 5 will require Quicktime 7.

I don't think we're ready for videopod or iTunes HD movie store, but who knows what else they've got cooking...
  • Reply 10 of 38
    mike peelmike peel Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Why would the inclusion of 10.4 require approval for manufacturing? I wouldn't consider 10.4 a hardware change. There must be something more to it than that.

If it's relating to the mac mini, maybe it's an upgrade to the video card? I seem to remember hearing that it might not cope well with Tiger. Was it something to do with Core Image?
  • Reply 11 of 38
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

If it's relating to the mac mini, maybe it's an upgrade to the video card? I seem to remember hearing that it might not cope well with Tiger. Was it something to do with Core Image?

The accessory could be an iPod dock (although hp have beat Apple to it). The accessory requires a part in the Mac mini, I remember hearing there was a lot of space in the Mac mini which could be where the dock was expected.

So what do we want to see in iTunes 5.0? I want to see lyrics support, automatic retrieval or artwork (copyright though), the large pictures of artwork update with the song (maybe). A way to save party shuffle playlists, and more importantly more advanced searches that can be saved automatically, although the PC version wouldn't be as good.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

That's exactly what I thought when reading this rumour.......
  • Reply 13 of 38
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I was surprised at the fact that Apple didn't readdress the situation, aside from hiring DVD Jon. Makes me think that a new version is almost ready, and why waste time plugging holes when the master plug (iTunes 5) is already lined up at the gate.

At this point, waiting for Tiger feels like pre-MacWorld XMas-eve.

Apple hired DVD Jon? Do you have a link for that?
  • Reply 14 of 38
    This "Apple hired DVD Jon" story was an April Fool's joke, eh?

[EDIT: added links]

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...&tid=176&tid=3

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp...?storyid=66795
  • Reply 15 of 38
    How about a fix for iPhoto 5, so that searching actually works properly. I'm surprised and disappointed that Apple still doesn't have a fix out for that yet.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shidoshi

How about a fix for iPhoto 5, so that searching actually works properly. I'm surprised and disappointed that Apple still doesn't have a fix out for that yet.

Yeah I've found iPhoto finds photos which only partially match the word typed.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    joltguyjoltguy Posts: 16member
    Maybe M18 is the new multi-button mouse Apple is supposedly working on. It would make sense to be releasing it "alongside" the new desktop product.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Man, this reminds me of the bad old days when Mac the Knife used to bury his rumors in mediocre, rambling satire.

They used to go something like this:

Your favorite utensil was going through Phyllis Diller's dumpster looking for do-rags when a passing hitchhiker bummed a cig and a light from him. The hitcher was making his way back to Saltine Flats, Minnesota where he said that Apple was beta testing their new PDA, code named the Pewton which Apple was targeting towards the religious market.

Now that I think about it, Q78 and M31 aren't so bad.. why is Apple using the names of NYC bus lines for codenames?
  • Reply 19 of 38
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RockyClark

Now that I think about it, Q78 and M31 aren't so bad.. why is Apple using the names of NYC bus lines for codenames?

'Cause we are gonna have 3 apple stores!!!
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I was surprised at the fact that Apple didn't readdress the situation, aside from hiring DVD Jon.

That was an aprils fool.