Any Watch lovers here?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'll admit I don't know much about fine watches but man do I love a handsome timepiece. The only problem is I'll never have the money that it takes to get some of these beauties. That's a damn shame. Here are some of my favorite companies.

Blancpain

A. Lange & Söhne

NICE....and expensive

I want these watches at

Timepiece Int prices

Any other broke watch lovers here?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    marc5marc5 Posts: 8member
    hey there,

I'm a broke watch lover, just got myself a panerai. I've got a IWC as well, as man, its an expensive hobby.

Nice selection of pieces you've linked up.

So, taking the plunge?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'll admit I don't know much about fine watches but man do I love a handsome timepiece. The only problem is I'll never have the money that it takes to get some of these beauties. That's a damn shame. Here are some of my favorite companies.

Blancpain

A. Lange & Söhne

NICE....and expensive

I want these watches at

Timepiece Int prices

Any other broke watch lovers here?

www.blancpain.ch/e/

I think that one is a little too Bling-a-rific for my taste, but I do like the look of chronogram watches.

http://www.breitling.com/en/index1024.php

If you can get past all of the flash this is right up my alley. Of course you could always go the Market St. NYC way and pick up an imposter that will get you through a year or so, but then again that would be like buying a PC.

edit: I just noticed that the first link you posted has a rotating series of watches (with less bling). I was refering to the diamond encrusted flavor that appeared first when I went to the link.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I love beautiful watches. I really like some of the stuff from Mont-Blanc. I just got a very handsome Tag Heuer Automatic for a birthday. It's entirely too much for a plebe like me, but it's great, works like a charm, and it's built like a tank. It's a more restrained design with a metal band, and a traditional face, not huge like some of their designs, just right for wrists my size, looks as good playing golf/tennis as it does under a suit.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Playmaker I noticed that every fine watch has a number of replicas floating around. I wonder how sound the mechanisms of these replicas are.

Matsu I like the TH watches. They're a little beefy but I like'em better than Rolex.

I do have a keen liking for the Daniel Roth watches as well.

Mont Blanc makes some geat watches and even L Vuitton has some unique looking pieces.

I'm envious of the rich bastard that can afford many of the real deals.

Are timepieces really "that" complex that they should cost north of $7000?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I like clean, simple watches.

This Bell&Ross Geneva 123 is my next timepiece:

• Reply 6 of 25
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I like the Ebel Sport.

• Reply 7 of 25
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I would never watch lovers.

(but that's just me)
  • Reply 8 of 25
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Playmaker I noticed that every fine watch has a number of replicas floating around. I wonder how sound the mechanisms of these replicas are.

Matsu I like the TH watches. They're a little beefy but I like'em better than Rolex.

I do have a keen liking for the Daniel Roth watches as well.

Mont Blanc makes some geat watches and even L Vuitton has some unique looking pieces.

I'm envious of the rich bastard that can afford many of the real deals.

Are timepieces really "that" complex that they should cost north of $7000?

I had a knock-off Breitling chronogram that I bought in NY for about $35 and it lasted me 2 years or so before one of the hands broke off. It was the best $35 I have ever spent. I think that if you have the money, or rather that if money is no option and you can pick up a $7k+ watch the quality is likely there (or at least should be). Personally as much as I can appreciate the craftmanship I just cant afford to be a Rolex, Breitling, or even a Tag owner. Thats not to say that I wouldent like to be some day.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I got another TAG a few years earlier, an F1, one of the earlier ones. Has to be about 7-8 years now, still on the original battery, been through hell, rowing, swimming, chlorine, salt-water, still works perfectly, though it's a little scuffed. It's the second most durable watch I ever owned. The most durable has to be my original Timex Ironman watch, which I wore all through grade school, and through every sort of torment you can subject a watch to. If you need a cheap timepiece that won't break, especially for travel, something that won't attract attention in less than first world locales, that's the timepiece to go for...
  • Reply 10 of 25
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I used to be into chronographs, but for the past couple of years I've been going through a calculator watch phase again. My current everyday watch is a $10 casio with no light. I don't have a speedmaster, though, and was thinking about asking for one for my birthday, but I decided I'd rather have a new ibook G4 to abuse (as opposed to my too-delicate powerbook and too-slow ibook G3).
  • Reply 11 of 25
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I like the Ikepod Isopod. http://www.ikepod.com/

And several of the Gerald Genta pieces, http://www.gerald-genta.ch

But actually I personally don't use wrist watches anymore. I use a pocket watch like this Mondaine. Mine is wind up and has a cover.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop...daine_white_pw

I also have my grandfather's gold Hamilton pocket watch that he got from United Gas when he retired. It is a very simple and slender gold watch.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I love beautiful, functional (usually expensive) watches, and the only way I can obtain them is to barter my services for them. That's how I got these 2:

This one I have , the Anonimo D-Date,

but with a tan band. Made in Italy with

swiss movements and its an automatic.

It cost the owner about $1600 a year

ago. I got it for a week worth of computer

work. Came with an automatic winder.

This one is swiss, black band, a winder, glass back so you can see the

movements. I'm selling this one with it's hardwood case.

• Reply 13 of 25
    tzallastzallas Posts: 17member
    Broke as I'll ever be (student) but I gotta say that I'm a Vacheron Constantin fan...of course I know that that's getting crazy expensive but how can you not be a fan of the "skeleton" and "Complication" models and movements....it's to die for...

Check them out... http://www.vacheron-constantin.com/

Its gettin to the point that I'll just get a knock-off from ebay JUST for the hell of it!

Oh woe is me!

As ar as the "infamous" Rolex is concerned...I can Certainly respect and appreciete the quality and craftsmanship but com'on they get put a liitle more creativity into their designs can't they?

tzallas
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I love my Vivienne Westwood designed limited edition Swatch:

Click 4 big.

That looks cool as hell. I like it!
  • Reply 15 of 25
    ichiban_jayichiban_jay Posts: 660member
    hmm I'm looking into getting this Prague watch... But I don't even know if I like it... LOL

What do you guys think? I always wanted a skeleton watch... Ever since I saw someone with one when I was a kid... so cool...
  • Reply 16 of 25
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I'm still waiting for the Tag Heuer V4 , probably the coolest watch yet;

This watch is incredible. Tag Heuer have taken watch design and thrown it out of the window to allow them to design ?The Watch? from scratch. The Monaco V4 is inspired by high performance racing and contains 13 drive belts, a linear oscillating weight (4.25-gram platinum ingot that moves up and down on a track) & 39 ball raced cogs! Check out the video for a proper look at the watch?s anatomy.

• Reply 17 of 25
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I'll probably never pay over 200? for a watch. Some of them look pretty nice though. I once went to a watch store for window shopping, only saw one I liked, and asked the price. Turns out it was a Breitling and among the most expensive in the store, so at least I got taste for this kind of thing

I don't like metal bracelets. Leather and canvas are nicer.

Regarding the watch itself, I like military / aviator style, high visibility, bombproof. I only appreciate the end result, not the work that went into the thing, so mechanical watches are out. The zillion-feature watches are stupid, but I do appreciate an alarm and night visibility (whether by backlight or tritium).

Even if they're not my style, that Tag Heuer on this thread and the Vacheron Constantin pieces are incredible, jewelry-like things. They're probably great for a formally dressing guy.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    I love watches. Due to money restrictions (i.e. enough other expensive hobbies), I do not collect them. I currently own a Limes Opera automatic (no more in production):

Limes is the new brand name of a small german company which produces OEM watch bodies for some big names, so you do not pay for the name...

Most of the time, I wear an Omega Seamaster Multifunction, which I bought used on ebay (I would have preferred the titanium version, but this version is more rare and expensive):

• Reply 19 of 25
    Well I love the watches above.. but there is sometihng about Nixon that i love.

The Tron

flick.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Guess I'm old school. I collect American RailRoad grade pocket watches. My Fav is my Waltham Vanguard, 1899, 21 ruby, lever set. Ahhh